Odyssey Audio Khartago Amplifiers

110W x 2 into 8 ohms, Class A/AB output, 45 amp current delivery, removeable power cord

Submitted by Bob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
Having a new pr of Magnepan MGIIIa speakers (Factory refab) I needed and amp to drive them. After doing days, weeks of research before I part with my hard earned money. I found Odessey. I purchased a pr of Kharago Mono's specials.
From the time I pluged them in and fired them up I was impressed. I was using a BK EX442 that can driva any speaker thrown at it. These amps right out of the box had a more defined bass and sweeter sound. After a month they were even better. They drive my Magnepans and dont break a sweat. The added benifits to owning these is the warenty, the future upgrades. They also seem to hold their value.

After 6 months I'm a very satisfied customer

Purchased At:   From Oddesey

Submitted by jdssound a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Khartago amplifiers are well deserved the Sound Stage 2004 award for sound excellence and great value! I have been using the mono-block configured amplifiers with the upgraded wiring, transformer and WBT outputs for about 6 months. The time to allow these amps to be used continously is worth the investment. The preamp used is the Anthem 2L SE, great match with the tubes to add the extra air, depth and low bass was a great match. I have used many pieces of equipment over the years, that use tubes, transistors or the hybrid of each. I have found the synergy of these two to work and sound extrodinaire. My speakers range from two-way horns to multi-driver DCM model 7 types, both sound excellent with the Khartago amps. Image and stage width is deep and wide enough, though not quite the equal of an all tube system, though this is done very well. The harmonics and details are its strengths, from top to bottom the amps do not disappoint. The transitions from loud to soft are done most excellent, musical accuracy is right on. I can fully understand why this amp is highly recommended for musicians and alike.

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by BKrueger4690 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm a trained musician. I got my start in music at the age of five, so needless to say I have a highly trained ear. I've also owned many different stereo components in my 43 years. Each time I made a purchase I'd go from store to store making sure I bought the exact best deal/sound I could find on the component I was looking for. Needless to say these treks were extremely time consuming.

When I decided that it was finally time to buy the "ultimate" system that I had always wanted I started to do research. I started by repeating my previous tact by going to all the local places and auditioning their various components. With that information in hand I then came here to the forums and looked at the reviews for each component. It was during this exercise that I stumbled across the reviews for Odyssey Audio.

Well if you have read the reviews yourself you've probably noticed what I did...this equipment is highly appreciated by those that actually own it. When I actually purchased my system, all of the Odyssey equipment was rated at 5 of 5 by everyone.
None of the equipment that I'd found locally was rated anywhere near that high by the people that owned it. Think about this...when you buy something, don't you want it to be the best stuff and tell everyone about it? I always think that reviews by people that own stuff tend to be slanted a little higher than they ought to be due to that fact alone.

I'll also tell you that it was a leap of faith buying this stuff without actually hearing it first, but ultimately all of the positive reviews won out (the money back guarantee didn't hurt either!), and I called Klaus. I might also mention that I found WWW.AudioCircle.Com extremely convincing as well!

Klaus was extremely helpful! He even talked me out of the higher end Stratos stereo amp and convinced me that the Khartago monos would actually provide better performance at the same price! This wasn't a sales pitch either as I do have the technical background to understand the arguments for mono block amps! Ultimately it became clear that Klaus wanted what provided me the best sound for my wants/needs. I was extremely impressed with his knowledge and helpfulness. It was definitely knowledge and help that I hadn't gotten locally. I decided to purchase the package deal that Klaus was offering.

After having this stuff for a year, I can honestly say chalk one up for the wonders of the internet! This stuff is nothing short of phenomenal! The highs are crisp yet crisp in a warm way. The mids are full yet there is no brashness at all. The bass is as full as it ought to be with plenty of punch. Each note, instrument, and sonic range is detailed and separated. You will not find any "muddy" areas in the bottom end, nor any ear fatigue in the midrange or high end. The stereo sound is full and involving. The components are so clean that I can turn the volume completely up and not hear an ounce of hiss! The only noise you ever hear from this equipment comes from the recorded material.

When listening to CDs that I have had for years, I am constantly hearing notes, passages, and even recording anomalies that I have never heard before, and these are on some of my favorite CDs!! For instance at the beginning of AC/DCs Back in Black I can here the drummer keeping time with his foot on his bass drum pedal, and at the beginning of Stevie Nicks' After the Glitter fades I can here the pianists foot on the pedal of the piano. Don't be alarmed, as this doesn't detract from the music! What it does do is completely amaze me! My friends are floored as well, not to mention a little envious!

If you are in the market for an awesome system, call Klaus at Odyssey Audio. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and you'll greatly appreciate Klaus' knowledge, honesty, customer service, guarantee, and most of all his product! He'll even answer questions after the sale about matching other components to his equipment! Tell me where else you are going to find that!!!

In short, I absolutely love the Odyssey Audio system. It is truly the real deal, and a phenomenal deal at that!

Purchased At:   Direct from Manufact

Submitted by soundman007 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you are an aspiring audiophile or even seasoned, you owe it to yourself to hear the Khartago. I went the upgrade path; however, I'm sure even the stock version is special. I've owned several high-end components (Classe, Creek, Meridian, Audible Illusions, etc.) and I can tell you it's in the same league. You can easily hear spatial clues with an accurate portrayal of the performance. The bass is solid and taught with clean and extended treble. At the moment I am using an Audio Alchemy DLC preamp and I can hear all of the above. Out of curiosity, I switched back to my previous amplifier only to discover how flat and lifeless it was. I now plan to upgrade the preamp, knowing there is more to hear with this great amplifier. I'm leaning towards the FT Audio passive or the Sonic Euphoria PLC; they just might be biggest bang-for-the-buck if you are looking for resolution and transparency. Happy listening!

Purchased At:   Odyssey Design Group

Submitted by 10-4 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
$ 775.!!! $ 775. for Pete's sake. I have listened to a lot of amplifiers for under and around $ 1000., but this one takes the cake, and then some. How can you describe a bargain like this? Read the reviews below, those people tried. The great reviews of the Khartago don't do the amp justice. It is even better than that. Smooth and huge sounding, power and control, fast, dynamic, "letting the music shine through like a clear window of the music's soul", to keep it poetic.

I own power hungry Magnepan 1.6's, and the Khartago not only controls them, but shows a match made in heaven.

Very highly recommended without hesitation and without any iota of buyers remorse.

Purchased At:   Odyseyaudio.com