OCM 500
Description: 250 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by Jerry O. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for a solid state amp; reasonably priced, with a well balanced sound, that would match my electrostatic speakers. First, I tried several tube amps...wonderful, natural, 3-D sound, but, tempermental to maintain. All other ss amps were relatively cold and flat sounding. Finally, I got a hold of the OCM 500. Although it's not the ultimate in 3-D as a good tube amp, it does come very close. It's wonderfully balanced sound reproduction from top to bottom, runs relatively cool and quiet, and has a handsome look as well.
System: SAE 8000 tuner, McIntosh "reissue" C-22 preamp, OCM 500 amp, Acoustic Research ETL-1 tt (Premier MMT arm, Benz Micro MC Silver cartg.), Pioneer PD65 Elite CDP, Denon DRM740 cassette deck, and Martin Logan Aerius i speakers.

Submitted by Stephen Noble a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Genesis 500's are everything Stereophile said! These speakers have a wounderfully large soundstage that is not difficult to set-up. The powered woofer system is balanced to work exteremely well with the overall sound.They are relatively efficient to work with most amps. Like organ music - tremendous!! Louis Armstrong is perfect on the Ella & Lois recording. I am using the Monarchy Audio Delux momo Amps, Proceed preamp, Wadia 830 CD changer and Alpha Core cables, Fanfare tuner.
A wounderfull musical speaker that looks great. They do need space! The room these are in is 16X20 with 9 foor ceiling. A good comination.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Brad Smith a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have had this amp for one week after searching for one year for an amp to drive my Martin Logan Quests.
Have Acurus 200X3, now relegated to center and surrounds. Tried Aragon 8008BB, and I believe the OCM has better top end and smoother bass.

Everything has been done on a budget, waiting and 'lucking' into good buys on everything but cable - but DH labs is great for the money.

I have heard Classe on Logans and Aragon on Logans and I honestly LOVE the OCM with them.

Submitted by Arthur a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1998

Bottom Line:
If you want Belles equipment, don't buy OCM. He hasn't been there for a long while. David Belles went out on his own and formed Power Modules. The new amp by David Belles is the Belles 150A. It is a 100 wpc amp (150 into 4 ohms) I have owned my Belles 150A for about 6 months now. It gets better every day I listen to it. It is quick and transparent. It gives you an excellent soundstage with extraordinary 3D placement of the instruments and voices. You can't buy better. I listened to numerous amps in a large variety of settings. Retail is about $1,100.00. You can also buy a 3 channel amp for about $1500.00. Power modules has a web page at www.powermodules.com. Check it out. You will not be disappointed.

Submitted by Mark a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have owned an OCM 500 for at least seven years. It was about the first one off the line. I had heard other Belles amps and based on the OCM 100 integrated I purchased the 500 sight unheard. Purchased from Salon One in Wisc Rapids. Outstanding shop, will let you audition anything in store. I compared with about 8 other amps, Adcom, Cary, Classe, Muse, Bedini, B&H 202's, Conrad Johnson solid state, and the 500 was the best in my system. What was truely amazing was that all amps had a different sound presentation and only two truely resolved music that in some cases I had thought were just terrrible recordings( massed strings in Tanhauser were a revaltion). Great company and after seven years I did lose one channel and but it was fixed in short order and cost less than !0% of the purchase price. Warning, this amp will bring the lights down. Steve Stones review is basically right on except I miss the darkness he hears.
5 stars