NEC M-50 Amplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $375.00

50 Watt Mono Power Amplifier

Submitted by vandalia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Hi,
I just bought a single unit off from ebay and I am intrigued by it.
Well designed to say the least.
I own an NEC AVA505 3/5 channel amp from the same time period (I'm guessing).
Does anyone have a owner/service manual for this model.?
The binding posts are the largest I have come across. They accept 8 gauge wire and I'm guessing that the ends of the wire should be stripped like any other wire but there is a sharp point fixed to the end of the binding post that suggests to me that maybe the wire shouldn't be stripped when inserted into the notched hole near the base of the binding post.
I am just not familiar with this type of binding post.
Any information would be appreciated and I am not sensitive to my lack of knowledge regarding this type of connector.

Submitted by rkic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these from DAK back in the early 90's and would like to get some more the my HT setup. If anyone has any please email me: rkic at hotmail.com.
Thanks.

Purchased At:   DAK

Submitted by bud914 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
anybody that has used these amps know how good they are. they are also the most unique mono amps i've ever seen.

to DS or anybody else: i have 5 of these and no longer have a use for them. i will give someone a great deal on them if they are interested. i would rather sell them all at once. great home theater package.

Purchased At:   catalog

Submitted by DS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair new from an electronic store that was going out of business back around 1989 or so...it's been a long time!
I LOVE these little babies. They're beautiful and sound great for small systems. I thought I was the only person that ever seemed to know anything about these amps. The guy with 10 of them, I'll take two more from you asap!

Purchased At:   New Generation

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked up 10 of these amps (no kidding) for $25 each at an NEC employee sale sometime around 1990 when NEC abandoned the consumer electronics market in the U.S. They seemed like too good a deal to pass up (that, and the 46" big screen TV for $300). They are good solid amps capable of driving loads down to 2 ohms at 200 watts! I never really drove them to their limits despite the low power rating.

They have switchable low and high pass filters for bi-amping as well as a direct line, and HUGE binding posts for the speaker wire. I bi-amped a pair of JBL L-7s with them and thought I had something special (haha). Well, I've learned a little since then. My NEC pre-amp died and I haven't used these M-50s since - I upgraded eventually to a Denon 5800 receiver for HT. I've upgraded speakers to Vienna Acoustics Beethovens and bought a Sony SCD-777ES SACD player. But, based on the experience of the other reviewer, I may have to take these M-50s out of the basement and give them a fresh listen with the SACD and the new speakers. If I get any interesting results, I'll post them, otherwise, I'll get a hold of this guy and ask him if he wants to buy a pair or two...

Purchased At:   NEC employee sale