NAD 2200
Description: 100 Watts - Power Envelope and Soft Clipping - Bridgeable (1985-1986)

Submitted by Joao Oliveira a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I Buy The NAD 2200 & 1155 Second And In 2008 That Time I Use It With Cabasse Clipper II M 3 1000 Watt To Peak With This GREAT AMPLIFIER.I Wake Up The HOUSE That Time With One Record Vinyl At Volume 1.It Was Too Loud But Great Stage And Transparent Clean Sound.Now I Have Cabasse Galion IV M4 And Is Smoter Sound With A Lot Of Warm Contour In The Bass And Smoter Mids Highs.I Feell ALRIGHT Now WIth The NAD 2200 & 1155 And Every Time Of Listning Is Very Impressionant.An Exampel Is The Last U2 Achtung Baby(This Is BASS)Stage Record In A New Dimension Of Sound.Have A Good Time Listenig Music With This Great NAD 2200 & 1155 And Use Cabasse You Will See And Ear The Real Sound Like It Is(LIVE).

Submitted by Mark McElroy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Powerful, clean and rock solid. Very musical, excellent stereo imaging and soundstage.

Submitted by jgriffin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp in January, mainly on the strength of the reviews below. The strengths and pitfalls of this amp are very well documented here. The 2200 effortlessly drives 6 pairs of paradigm speakers and (one sub woofer) throughout my house and yard, and it is everything I hoped it would be. However, because of the age of these amps, you have to be ready to deal with the burnt contacts problem, which eventually creates the dreaded "punch through" sound problem that is well detailed in previous posts. I want to share with readers who are contemplating buying one of these amps some of the lessons I learned from hard experience trying to get mine repaired. The first thing to realize is that, even if the amp is in perfect condition, and is being sold by the original owner, the burnt contact problem could suddenly begin to manifest it's self at any time. In my case, it happened a week after I had purchased my 2200 from the original owner. He offered to take it back, but I really loved the sound of the amp and wanted to restore it. I learned the hard way that, even though some shops will say that they have qualified techs who will fix your amp, it will cost you a pretty penny. In my case, even though I told the first shop up front that the problem was coming from burnt contacts, they led me on for 3 months with promises and needless parts replaced. When they finally gave in and admitted it could be the relays, they made me wait another 3 weeks just to tell me that NAD doesn't sell them any more! I asked them to just find equivalent relays, but they couldn't (which was an out and out lie). So at that point I had my amp back after spending hundreds of dollars and it still had the same "punch through" problem because of bad relays. On the Internet, I found a company called In House Service Company, which is located at 12 Technology Drive, Ste. 13 East Setauket, NY 11733 Have a look at www.angelfire.com/art2/stereorepair117/NAD.htm . They have a very reasonable service for NAD 2200s in which they upgrade the relays, and replace the input caps for $175. There is also a fellow I found on eBay who advertised a similar service for $125. These would be good options except for the problem of having to ship such a large and heavy piece of equipment back and forth without it getting damaged in transit. You are probably saying "why didn't you just find an honest local tech who would find you equivalent new relays. After all, this isn't rocket science!" Well, finally I did. The catch is, understandably, they don't' just want to tell you what the part is and order it for you. They can't make any money that way. Anyway, after spending the money, I am going to share with you where you can get replacement relays and what they are. You want part number R46-5D12-12 relays from NTE Electronics (www.nteinc.com). 12VDC, SPDT contact arrangement, coil resistance of 400 Ohms, Nom. power is 360 mW, and they can take up to 12 amps (instead of the original 8). Because the original relays have a unique pin arrangement, my tech wired the new relays up off the board. They are small enough to still fit neatly in place. So there you have it. If you are good with wiring diagrams and soldering guns go for it. Otherwise you could order a pair and give them to a competent tech in your area and get him to install them for you. Look on the Internet for the wiring diagram for his amp, you can find it for free if you look around, as the tech will need it. Or you could go with the other scenarios I described above. If you are in the SF Bay area, you can get your amp fixed at the place I did for around $200. SerTEch Electronics in San Jose. You can call them at (408) 267-3288, Norm is a great guy. Your amp will be ready for another 20 years of use.

Submitted by gmeredith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
What can I say after having this about 23 years. I am the original owner. This amp has worked without a flaw the entire time and still going strong. No plans of ever departing with this great piece. I don't think todays equipment is made to last like this piece has nor to the same standard of quality. Very clean sound with all the reserve power I have ever needed. If you can find one of these, you will do yourself a great service. I have owned a couple newer amps/receivers (all NAD of course) for secondary system since owning the 2200 but the 2200 is second to none. Its far better than the NAD C372 int-amp I purchased last year for my secondary system in terms of dynamic performance and just as neutral in sound quality.

Purchased At:   House of Records

Submitted by Sathar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
Somewhere back in the late '80s I got my hands on a showroom floor demo pair of Carver Amazing loudspeakers (5' tall electrostatics each with four woofers the size of your head). My little 90 watt receiver couldn't budge them. So about a year later I went back for a pair of NAD 2200PEs. I was in college at the time, so I thought it was pretty neat how the room lights would flicker in sync with the heartbeat on Dark Side of the Moon. I also had a penchant for E. Power Biggs, thank the heavens my elderly neighbors were deaf as stones.

Those speakers are long gone, and probably turned back to dust by now. After some dark years in the closet or driving an old set of modest JBLs, the 2200s got called back up in '98, unbridged into "Stereo" so they could bi-amp a pair of Vandersteen 2's. I haven't even turned them off in five years except to dust, and they have yet to complain.

Now I just got my hands on a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s, which I'm getting ready to rip apart and refurbish. Every single person whose posted a word about these in the last ten years keeps saying how they are just bottomless buckets for electricity that will leave any amp crying, how their power "Sensitivity" is a joke and how you need to wire them straight into a nuclear reactor to get enough current. I described the NADs' print specs to one of the engineers at Regnar (owners of the Dahlquist name), and all he could say was "Be careful..."

Purchased At:   Eardrum (no longer i