N.E.W DCA-66 Amplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

Class A Tube Amplifier - 75 Watts/Channel

Submitted by Bob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
It's certainly a fine sounding amp. Its technology is really intelligent. I'm sorry the company mysteriously went out of business without a trace, but it did.

Submitted by Ric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
First, lets get the battery thing out of the way. Heavy ugly and a pain in the ass. (no spouse is perfect)
But what are you gonna do? The price to pay for effortless control(my speakers are 84db inefficient) and sparkling dynamic clarity. The amp doesnt glare, but sometimes comes close with older CD's. I couldnt stand this normaly, but when its good (96% of the time) its awesome. Most recordings sound alive and breathing. I listen to mainly to live jazz and I find myself clapping between tunes. I've been looking for an amp to replace the two that were biamping my Acarian Alon's. (Belles 150A on the bottom and a N.E.W. A-20 on top. I find components with the letter A in their name are the best)The problem with most contenders was a loss of weight, scale and dynamics. Not so the DCA-66. (some stereophile guy always talks like that. Uughh, I hate it!) I thought Id have to dedicate two amps (both exceptional in their own right) to get the players in my home. Only the Onkyo M-504 came close in terms of power and scale, but was too full of components and ribbon cable to compete. (also it was sorely lacking an A) But enter the DCA-66, now I can sell the other amps. Although its not plush and polite, it has enough warmth to stay off my nerve while giving me a chance to meet Hank Mobely.

Submitted by drew franklin a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
the new dca 66 amp is the best amp i have ever heard not only is it heavy but it performs equal to amps costing $10,000 i should know i have one of each,i do not like the large and bulky battery pack,but all in all this amp is a helluva of amp at any price.if you like the sweet sound of class a you will love this amp i have to give this 5 stars: assocoiated equipment

chiro preamp\\
krell power amp
halston tube cd player
cailifornia mod magnepans(by john garland audio)

Submitted by Doug a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently bought this amp from a dealer going out of business. Needless to say I picked the amp for a third of its retail cost. I was skeptical about the amp at first since N.E.W has gone out of business, although Cary has picked up the servicing, but I took a chance since the price was right. Wow!!! this amp performs as well as my Krell KST for bearly a fraction of the cost! I'm currently using the amp in a bi-amp configuration for my mids and highs on a pair of Platinum Studio 1s. This amp has a very precise detailed soundstage, that is very open and almost tube like sounding yet its dynamics are snappy with percussive instruments and vocals pushed towards the front. I assume like most new class A amps it will only sound better with time. This amp uses a dc power supply with 4 12 volt rechargeable batteries in it and it also weighs a ton!!! It must charge for approximately 24 hrs before use then its good to go and recharges automatically will the amp is on. This power supply puts out some serious current and is not for the weak at heart average speaker. Although it is conservatively rated at 70 wpc it easily smokes my Krell due to the current capacity. This damn thing could weld metal!!!! My only real gripe about it is it doesn't have balanced inputs, and the battery supply is fairly bulky and rather unattractive to have out. I hide mine behind my entertainment center and pray I don't have to move it anymore. Even the UPS man was cussing this thing!! Other than that if you can get your hands on one of these you will not be disappointed!!! Equipment used: Classe CP-60 preamp, Krell KST amp, Theta Data Transport II , Theta DS Pro Generation II D/A and a pair of Platinum Audio Studio 1s. I also hooked up a pair of Polk 2.5tl and they sounded killer too. Just not enough room for them in my listening room!! Happy Listening!!

High End: