Mesa Engineering Tigris Amplifiers

35 Watt Integrated Tube Amplifier

Submitted by spot1dog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this amp. I did not ever think I would own a 35 watt integrated anything until a freind brought it over to test my system. As soon as he plugged it in I wanted to own it. The sound was incredible and how could it look any cooler. My Von Schweikert VR3s never sounded better. If you have low efficiency speakers this may not be the best match. I was able to trade my Musical Design solid state to my freind because his power hungry little speakers just did not like the Tigris. My Luck!!!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Felix a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Initially, I got it for my second system as an alternative
to the analytical solid state sound of my main set-up.
I was also planning to use its triode/pentode option as a cure for poor recordings. Finally, I found myself spending more time
listening to Tigris that to solid state amps. This Mesa amp is so musical and emotionally involving that it could literally hypnotize you! I know that some of its technical measurments are far from perfect, but I do not listen
to tech specs after all. This Tigris amp has a heart and soul of fine musical instrument!
I use it with Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods, and Monarchy Audio digital front end.

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
The BEST low-power (35wpc) class A tube amp out there...possibly @ any price point...excellent build and great support from mesa...cheap replacement tubes...look for one on the used market and you cannot beat it!!!

Purchased At:   on-line

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
My audio quest for the "right sound" lasted 10 years until I found the Tigris. I have owned many fine pieces and experimented with many different system configurations over this ten year time period. For the two years now that I have owned the Tigris I have been rewarded with the "right sound." During the first year that I owned the the Tigris I continued to compare it with other systems yet remained satisfied with the Tigris. Consequently, I have stopped making comparisons and now direct my time to enjoying my music collection and expanding my musical horizons. For the past year I have given no thought to making any more changes in my amplifications or for that matter my entire system. I recommend the Tigris very highly, it is a unit that is probably capable of giving you substantial long-term musical enjoyment.

My Tigris is used primarily with Dynaudio 1.8 Mk 2 speakers and Classe .5 CD player.

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have no desire to "upgrade" from this amp! When I first read about it in Stereophile, I thought to myself that it might spare me from some of those awful sounding CD's that, while sonically impaired, had great music on them. Interestingly, I rarely move from full pentode/zero feedback because that setting is so utterly transparent, more so than the megabuck pre/power combos I've heard (with one exception with a total cost of around $24K), and that transparency is so beguiling I can't stand to change it! The headphone amp is superb and drives those tough Sennheiser HD600's easily. The tubes are dead quiet - and very inexpensive to replace. Mesa's customer service is second to none. Finally, this amp is a visual treat as well as an aural one. For $2500, why would anyone buy anything else? My speakers are nominal 8 ohms and drop to a low of 3.7 and have 89 db sensitivity. This amp will drive them louder than my neighbor 4 doors down can stand and the bass will shake the foundation of my house. What else does anyone need? Unequivically recommended for all uses. 1000 stars for sound, 999 stars for value, 1006 stars for customer support, overall 1003 stars!

CSB 1206 BLK: