McCormack DNA 1 Deluxe Amplifiers

4.47/5 (36 Reviews) MSRP : $2095.00

185 Watt Per Channel (8 Ohms)

Submitted by chayanto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've owned this unique well built amp (for 15 years) that gives it its name DNA. It's more appropriate for my systems and room. Rather spent the big bucks for the new or used, but excellent higher-end components.
I personally visited Kris and Steve at SMc audio for upgrade my DNA 1 to Gold Edition.

Steve the original designer who has won many awards. Many of the parts he choose to complete rebuild the amp are not available to engineers designing for automated assembly.

Kris the best technician who install 16 new gold capacitors (Super Audio Grade) and each piece of wire in the "right" direction for the best sound. He leave nothing to chance. Both are the great guys.

The upgrade worth talking about, After picked it up last week. I run it continuously and played softly. It continuously changes both in sound and in dynamices much more musically involving.

Thanks Kris & Steve, It's a honor to have your signature under the hood of my amp, the job well done.

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
This review is for the McCormack DNA1 REVISION A. This is the ultimate factory hot-rodded version of this amp. I bought this in mint condition on Audiogon for $1700, which is about half price of a new one. I didn't compare it to the lesser versions, so I cannot compare them.

However, I did go thru the whole Rotel line, and also a vintage Dynaco 400, as well as a Bryston 4BSST. The DNA was by FAR the best of the lot. A truely amazing amp. The bass is not quite as full as the Bryston or the Rotel 990, but is it FAR better defined. On very familiar recordings, I'm now hearing things in the bass that I've never heard before. The sound is dynamic, musical, fast and full. No complaints at all. A real keeper. My other equipment includes Kef Reference 4 (with completely rebuilt crossovers) speakers, Odyssey Tempest preamp, and Rotel RCD 995 cd player. All cables are home built using high level Audio Circle receipes.

Submitted by naimfiend a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
Most of the positive reviews about this amp is true. However, there is only one caveat, that is, the bass is not as tight and low as some reviews here may lead you to believe. In fact, my experience is that the low bass extension is lacking and also the damping is quite bad resulting in overblown bass.

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
My review below is not quite accurate. Revision 1 & Revision B are not exactly the same. Revision 1 is done in Virginia at Conrad Johnson and revision B is performed by SMc Audio in California. Regardless, either one is excellent. Also my intentions were to rate this amp 5 stars on both overall & value rating, an excellent product!

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
First off I am posting this review to clarify some mis-understandings about this fine product and help other audiophiles make a clear decision. I currently own a standard DNA-1 that was upgraded to Deluxe and then received a revision 1. I see on Audiogon that many deluxe models for sale are advertised as original and not an upgrade. This is mis-leading. The newer deluxe model and the upgraded model share the same 1991 circuit boards. How do I know this because i have owned both and have popped the hood to verify, plus Steve McCormack said so and are the same. Now I would also like to point out that a revision 1 and a revision B are the same. The difference is the revision 1 is done by McCormack Audio in Virginia (also known as Conrad Johnson) and the revision B is done by SMc in California. Does this revision make a difference,100% YES!. I have always viewed the DNA-1 Deluxe as a teaser amp. It gets many things right including it's big soundstage but ultimately lacks in refinements. The revision 1 or B takes care of this issue and takes the amplifier to a sound level thats going to be tough to beat even by amps twice the cost. I have to confirm the sound is gorgious and well worth the costs of the revisions. There are some audiophiles that say the revision made little or no difference and many say that it does but I can honestly tell I was astounded by the improvement and it was significant. One final note, the Adcom preamps such as the GFP-565 or GFP-750 sound excellent with this product.

Purchased At:   Audiogon