Mark Levinson No. 33H Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $19950.00

Mark Levinson 150W Monoblock

Submitted by Jaeson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this pair of amps used for $14,000. This amp lives up to the hype. These amps present sound in an "organically whole manner." The sound is seemless and the amps disappear by stepping aside to the music rather making thier presence known.

So many other fine amps instill too much of thier own character on the music. For instance, the Krell 300S is a fine analytical tool but it makes its personality known by way of its thunderous bass and deliberate high frequencies. The Krell is musical, but it does present music through a carefully considered lens of bass slam and fastidious control. This character can sometimes detract from the sense of organic wholeness of music. The 33H does not have such limitations.

My remarks come from owning and admiring the Krell 300S for a couple of years. I am still a fan of this amp and think it is a steal on the used market. But compared the Levinson 33H, the Krell does impart its own personality.

The Levinson 33H is an emotionally involving product worthy of respect and adoration. It is however, very expensive. If you can afford it, it is worth your consideration as it is unparalleled in its musical truth. My recommendation is to find the 33H on the used market. While it is worth the price of admission, your partner/spouse and your pocket will thank you if you buy it used. There is no reason to ruin domestic bliss over these fine amps.

Purchased At:   Definitive

Submitted by Vincent a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These amps are definitely the best amps I've ever heard (besides the higher powered 33's) for any type of music. At first, the sound was a little clinical, more than musical, but once they went through their warm up cycle, bamm!! The music is sweet and very warm. Very much like a tube amp, except it has all the juice that you would need. If you have a very efficient, high resistant speaker, it may be hard to tell the difference between certain amps; however, my speakers run at a nominal 4 ohms, which often dips to 1 ohm at times and all I can say is that's where you can hear the dynamic difference. Tube amps are definitely sweet in sound, but have no true punch when it comes to music that is demanding on the bottom end.

Some may not like the sound of the Levinson 33H's for the fact that they reproduce music to the artist's original intention, which means that they don't produce any additives, such as Krell (which I consider very edgy on the high frequencies), but the advantage I found is that you never grow tired of it's sound, because of it's laid back, sweet approach.

Those who say they can't hear a difference, once again, is either using a very efficient speaker (like the Wilson's) or just using a pair of bookshelves ( or inexpensive; less accurate musical producing speakers). Most higher end speakers aren't efficient and with a meaty amp like these, you'll have no trouble driving them with effortless power.

Submitted by James Drucas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned alot of equipment over 25 years. I bought two pairs of 33H's with #32 preamp and two pairs of revel salon speakers. I bi-amp the 33H's. It is the most amazing system own yet. It rivals my old cello system, 3 Pairs of amatis, Two pairs of preformance 2 amps bridged, pallette, and audio suite. Thank to the people at madrigal and special thanks to ken at Sounds Like Music the best hi-fi store that I have done business with in my life.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music

Submitted by Kevin Landy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I went out recently on a mission to replace my 7B-ST's with the 33H. After wrestling the thing into my house I spent a week doing A/B comparisons with the Brystons. Whenever my eyes were open the Brystons were at a disadvantage. It was hard for me to objectively compare the two because my brain kept telling me the Brystons couldn't be anywhere near as good. Ultimately, reality won the day and I saved myself a huge sum of money. While I did find the 33H capable of giving slightly better soundstage depth, and inner detail was perhaps a wee bit better, the Brystons have an airyness and crispness that I prefered over the 33H. The 33H is a remarkable amplifier. So is the 7B-ST. Is the 33H worth $15k more than the Brystons? Not for me it wasn't.

Five stars for sound but value rating brings it down.

Submitted by John Matin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Mark is very good amp but what about chord, chord has more tranperent, control and more natural. mark is more solid and richer sound. so it is depend on your taste really.

BLG CP024: