Manley Laboratories Reference 440 monoblock Amplifiers

Submitted by coltrane1 a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very surprised to see there hasn't been a review posted on this pair of stellar mono's as yet. But, at $12k retail, I guess there aren't that many of these floating around, even used.

Since I've only had this pair but a short time, I'll only be able to provide first impressions of the Manley Reference 440 mono's.

And, what a first impression these amps have made in my system. Owning CLS IIz's, I'd tried many a decent solid state amplifier on them. Plinius, BAT VK500, Coda, Palladium II mono's, etc., etc...But nothing has exhibited the type of control, performance from the CLS's like the Manley Ref's have. Any one who says that the CLS's cannot produce prodigious bass, hasn't heard them powered by the Manley Ref's. Just incredible! Mids, highs, are equally as impressive. I can't suggest enough accolades to adequately describe the sense of realism these amplifiers produce.

As most of us are striving for the recreation of an actual live event within our systems, this is as close as I've come yet. It's almost unreal.

Currently, I'm running the Manley Ref's with KT90's, and obtaining wonderful results.

System consists of:

BAT VK30SE preamp

Sony XA7ES CD player

Oracle Delphi turntable

JPS Labs Superconductor cable throughout

Don't pass on the opportunity to hear these if they ever avail themselves to you. Definitely some of the finest amplifiers I've ever heard!

The 5 star 'value' rating I've suggested is based upon used prices of $5500-$6k. At that price, I've not heard anything that can compete with the Ref's.

Enjoy!