LFD Mistral Amplifiers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by Roland K C Tan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier review that I have posted in Dec 2007. I have upgraded my loudspeakers from the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 to a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 about 3 weeks ago. My CD player have remained the same with the Meridian Audio 206B. Guess the next thing I would love to do is to be able to upgrade my CD player in the not-too-distant future (I hope).

Purchased At:   LFD

Submitted by Roland K C Tan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
Not satisfied with my budget hi-fi setup that I have been listening to for over 7 years, I decided to upgrade my Marant PM-57 and bought myself the new LFD MI100 (SE) integrated stereo amplifier at around US$4,800. The MI100 (SE) is a dual mono amplifier in one chasis and rated at 90W per channel. Along the way, I have also upgraded my Marantz CD-4000 to a used Meridian Audio 206B CD player. I am still having my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 loudspeakers which I have been having since year 2000 but intend to upgrade to a higher-end loudspeakers.

Purchased At:   LFD Audio

Submitted by bbcradio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been a loyal Krell fan for years.My second system is Mark Levenson.However , 18 months ago while on a social visit to my solicitor friends home I came across a British integrated which completely changed everything in my listening requirements.I was completely bowled over by this amp. You may not have heard of it as they rarely if ever advertise. The name is LFD Mistral LE. It is a hand made masterpiece putting out 75 w.p.c of the purest, most musical,most enthralling music I have heard in 18 years of audiophile listening.It absolutely destroys the Krell and Levenson amps as good as they are.
Anyone contemplating an upgrade or who wants to be really serious about their music should advertise their present integrated or separates and RUN to their nearest LFD dealer or pick up a used one on the net.Try Audiogon. I know about which I speak - My company designs accoustic requirements for all the major theatres throughout this country , and being a musician I know the real thing when I hear it.

Purchased At:   Audio show

Submitted by Peter Dapple a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had this amp (SE Version) for a couple weeks and ended up sending it back, it simply did not have the drive of my Naim Nait 3R.

The Mistral was pretty awesome with regard to upper end, soundstaging and how delicate it could be, but it lacked a certain something. The bass was dramatically less than the Nait 3R and it did not ever get me tapping my toes. Not much PRaT.

If you don't need much power this would be a decent amp, but all in all, I found it without 'cohones'.

Purchased At:   NA

Submitted by Jim Severs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the standard Mistral integrated amplifier.

If there were ever a piece of gear that was a sleeper it's this amp. It's popular but not as well known as others but if it were it would surely be one of the most sought after integrated amplifiers out there. I've owned or heard a good share of integrated amps in and around the $1-2,000 level and I can easily say this is the very best amplifier I have ever heard. It's based on sheer simplicity from it's understated and classy British style to it's very simplistic circuit design. This is definitely a music lovers amplifier.

The sound is quite musical, very neutral and uncolored but with a slight sweetness and a slight warmth making this amplifier sound so natural and realistic. It's definitely true to the music sounding both open and detailed with excellent transparency which gives you a high sense of presence and hearing a live event. It's two biggest strengths, which is hard to call out as the entire spectrum is superb, is it's midrange and tonal accuracy. In both instances this amp excels at sounding quite accurate in it's portrayal of voices and instrument tonality. I've not heard an amp anywhere near it's price that sounds this true and right in these regards. The upper registers are beautifully extended and airy, natural and smooth. The bass is excellent as well- both deep and colorful. Soundstaging is quite dimensional and large with excellent ability to communicate the venue and carry fine ambient cues and microdynamic tones. Imaging is also excellent. The Mistral is powerful and dynamic and should be able to drive a wide variety of speakers in a variety of room sizs.

All in all it's somewhat of a challenge to describe this amplifier. It offers little character of it's own, very little colorations that help define it's sonic character. It's slight sweetness is a character that can be described but that is definitely what helps make this amp so realistic and natural sounding. It does not sound "hifi" nor does it sound engineered to sound overly smooth or warm. This amp just is. It gives you the music. In my opinion the LFD Mistral can compete with about anything when it comes to communicating the music.

Atlantic Technology :