Lamm Industries, Inc. ML 1 Amplifiers

90W vacuum tube triode push-pull design utilizing 6C33C tubes in the output stage

Submitted by rebank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
Mine is ML1.1. If music recreation is your priority, listen to these amps. There are not many that are better. Enough said.

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
In summary, please don't be bitter for your mistakes, just realize and use your head.

Submitted by an audiophile with a brain a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
Anyone who believes that the sonic qualities of any LAMM amp is matched by anything offered by an Anthem or AR amp is one of four things:

1. Deaf
2. A moron
3. Inexperienced
4. All of the above

I suspect 4 in the case below.

Submitted by Jim a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have listened to this amp along with the other Lamm products. I have tried to be as fair and impartial to these amplifiers. I do agree that they sound good even great. However, I can not see the justification for this price. Also seeing that they probably out source much of the aluminum machine work and very little investment in equipment to manufacture these amps in house, I just can't see how these folks can charge what they do with a clear conscience.
I looked at the products and saw the manufacturing of it as well as the design (the parts you use, machine work, quality of sound, labor to build, research cost to build your amp, marketing, and final manufacturing). There is no way I can see how LAMM can justify the cost that you are charging. I realize that it is "ARTISTIC" where there is no logical reasoning behind the cost. But much of HIFI is tangible and should warrant costs to reflect fair market value based on how much it costs to make the equipment as well as how good it sounds, but lets not swing the pendulem all one way.

I have heard many amps that sound as good and even beats these LAMM ML1 and ML2 as well as thier top M1.1 and 2.2 and still cost less with heck of better engineering and design with much more money on research spent than LAMM has put into the equipment, 100 fold and probably magnitude times the investment in custom equipment's to purposefully machined to perform to reference standard. Well Linn Klimax comes to mind at $20K/pair or how about the Plenius or the Boulder which all sound as good if not better. These amps are nothing more than stock cuts with custom designed circuit boards (not even the highest quality boards used like Mark Levinson or Linn). Don't let the verbage from LAMM fool you. There is nothing magical about these amps. Just a great simple Hybrid design in the case of the M1.1 and 2.1, using good parts, period. Listen for your self and make your own determination, and don't let them sell you on the voodoo of why these sound so good. I would say great, I am excited that they sound so good, but lets take a look inside and see what it is made of. You will discover hand solder jobs using good parts encased in a stock aluminum casing using a simple circuit board.

I would like to hear LAMM justify thier cost, because I can't see how they can sleep at night knowing what they are charging for what they are producing.

I know that I have seen many short blips praising the amps on the new group along with a long winded explanation of why it is so expensive. But the explanations seemed to come from one of thier employees or thier marketing rep.

In addition if anyone has to have this amp and is willing to pay this sort of price to get it irregardless of what is is actually worth. I would say please listen to other tube amps like the reasonably priced Cary or the AR. Maybe even the Anthem. I would recommend listening hard to these amps before looking to fork over $20K on $2K (maybe) of equipment and labor. If you must have the best referance amp and all you care about is the sound quality, you still have to take into account the fair market cost based on build, labor, and R&D. If you can build the best sounding amps in the world for a dollar I would think the fair thing to do is price it appropriately so that everyone can enjoy it. Not so far out of reach that it is insulting to everyone where we sit there scratching our heads.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile