Krell FPB-600 Amplifiers

4.86/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $12500.00

2 channel, 600W at 8 ohms, power doubles each halving of impedance load

Submitted by fe911 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
I'd like to start off by saying that at this time, high end stereo shops are going the way of the dinosaurs. Let alone quality second-hand shops that used to be available to go and try out the past greats. Which leaves us to forums like this that hopefully help to give us a little help to find what we are looking for.
No, my search actually started out with me blowing my speakers(Avalon's) because of an unruly tube preamp whose mute switch crossed paths with a few beers. I normally would use my ARC vtm100's, but was trying an older solid state unit, which was not as forgiving with the DC voltage sent by the preamp. So, I started looking for a new set of speakers to match my system. Which I'm still working on after two years, and four sets of speakers!
I've grown to realize that I cannot live without a three way design with a large dome midrange driver. I'm completely unimpressed with the slew of modern cone midranges that end up sounding dry and woody(like b&w, wilson, vienna, etc.). I like the liquidity and dispersion that only domes can attain. Makes a Steinway sound like a Steinway. But there is a big problem with this type of speaker. They are horribly inefficient and require lots of power to get them going. Sure, my vtm's can make them sound good, but after hearing the same set of Avalons with a massive Boulder amplifier, I had to rethink my philosophy on amplifiers. This type of speaker will not show its potential until the whip gets cracked. It's like my ARC's were fighting to control the speakers, and were not winning the battle. Of course I wanted to find a high powered tube amp, but my yearly budget for retubeing was already strained past imagination. The VTM600's will have to wait for a lottery win.
So, I was looking for speakers, reading lots of reviews on the type of speaker I was looking for. My new room size making it a little tougher, downsized a bit. The reviews usually make note of how this tube amp is great, and this ones even better, and my reference amp is- bla bla bla. But there seemed to be a theme that kept coming up. It usually started off by saying something like "we then took our reference amplifier out and brought in the big Krell to see how they would match up", and then it would usually end with "but these speakers really sounded the best with the Krell".
I have had a lot of pricey amplifiers( twenty or so..), and even more inexpensive ones, but the only Krell I've had was a KSA-100 way back when. And it was replaced with a Classe 15 that blew it away. In fact the Classe was in one of my systems for almost 15 years! And always sounded great. But then I got the tube bug again.....So, I started looking at Krell's again. Only one requirement. Had to have single-ended inputs from my absolutely fabulous preamp. No, that's a problem with Krell and Levinson. Who like to make their own inputs now, so people would buy their mediocre preamps. Nothing pisses me off more than proprietary designs like camac and cast. Stick to what you are good at and let us decide.
So, the latest power amps that had rca's were the fpb's. Started looking, tried out a few in my house. from the 200's to even a set 0f 650mc's with single-ended adapters. Now that big pair really woke up the room. Still mighty expensive for an old pair of amps(12K), but the smaller krells weren't much of an upgrade from my ARC's. The 300 was available and good, and I was seriously pondering one for around 3k, which I thought should have been closer to 2500 to make it a good deal fro an amp that old. Then I came across a 600 on the net across the country for 4k(much better deal), and the guy worked for a shipping company that crated and shipped it for another 200. even better!
As to the sound, I was dumbfounded! I was impressed with the 650's but, I actually think the 600 disappears much better. My new Silverlines(not for much longer) aren't happy, they thought they would be in charge of the sound. They were so proud until the big Krell took over. No they just flat out deliver, they aren't allowed to make excuses. Kind of like going from a little league football coach to a marine drill sargeant . Imaging to die for. Best purchase I have ever made(except for the preamp)! It might be a piece that you will never be able to upgrade from without dropping 30k. Cheers

Submitted by danny miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
If you like rock I don't know a better amp then this one. I love this amp. I use it for my main speakers which are legacy signiture 2's. You do need a 30amp fuse and 10 gauge wire .Your electrician will tell you that you don't need it.Believe me you do. Great sounding in high or low volume. It sounds like the band is in the room with you.You can get one on ebay for about 5000 which is more then half off. The original price was (12000.00) Great for movies sound like the room is blowing up terminator true lies etc. Buy this amp unbelievable bas

Submitted by Morten Gammelgaard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
Even taking the age of this amp in to consideration, I am truley amased about what it can do. Power with out limit, but still a very suttle and smoth soundstage. Now I am looking for a set of speakers that will match.

I have tried othe high end amps, but newer one that pleases me in so many ways as the 600. Again the suttlenes is amasing. You stop listening to your system and instead you let yourself float in to the music. And that is what a nice amp is supposed to deliver in my oppinion.

So all in all................. go get one !

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Robert Lent a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am going to make this a short and sweet review. This amplifier is the BEST amplifier hands down. To get the best sound possible out of this puppy you will need a dedicated 30 to 50 amp circuit breaker using 10 gauge wiring along with proper grounding. Forget about using an outlet that is shared with half the house. This puppy needs power to give power! You will hear what this amplifier can do if wired to a dedicated outlet. Thanks to Krell and my electrician for hooking me up with great power and sound! You will never catch upgrade fever if you own one of these.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics

Submitted by TheEAR Hearing Aids a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
For anyone who is looking seriously to get an amp of this caliber dont listen to frustrated peeps who dont have a clue what they are barking about(Bob is a perfect example).

This glorious power amp will provide years of pure muisc if matched with proper preamps and speakers.Even interconects play a role in the final result here.

I use this amp with the Audio Research LS25, and Dynaudio Contour 3.3 speakers.The result is PURE MUSIC.

I will not sell the amp anytime soon,I would only go for a larger Krell.The larger Krells are out of my range,even the FPB600 I had to stretch my budget way over the original limit.Still I am very pleased with the sound and built quality.I recomend this amp with no reservations,PRICE and WEIGHT may be two.

TheEAR(s) Now theears