Krell FPB-250Mc Amplifiers

One channel monoblock, 250W at 8 ohms, power doubles each halving of impedance load

Submitted by Ian Peter Daly a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Dave says it all

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by David Black a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This prodcut rightly achieves Stereophile class A staus - well deserved. Truly a Ferrari of the hi-fi world. Try plugging it into a PS Audio power plant and it's as if the Ferrari has acquired a further turbo.....

Submitted by sia a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Been using the 250m monoblocs for over a year and they never cease to amaze me with thir iron like grip on my Sonus Faber speakers. They are infatuiguable. I agree with Dave from Dagenham, UK that you can improve performance even more with good quality 20amp power cords and by using balanced inputs. Kimber Select balance cable discerably improved the soudstage and isolated instruments. Transparent across the range and never harsh. Typical Krell bulletproof build quality.

A real bargain if (like me) you can pick up a second hand pair.

Submitted by Stephen Lau a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been a user of Krell's power amplifiers for many years.

It started with Krell KSA 250. It is a very powerful amplifier with great bass slam and authority; slightly thin in the mids. Then I changed to KSA 300S, a more refined performer, but equally powerful.

Perhaps it was the heat and the very high current, the KSA 250 had its on/off relay burnt and the KSA 300S had the same problems. My first Krell 300S had its on/off switch burnt one time and the huge transformer burnt later. The replacements had kept me waiting for a few months. Then I changed to another Krell 300S. It worked fine until one day it burnt all the left side. Tragic! Repair needed another 3 months.

Yet, I kept returning to Krell for one reason - no other amplifiers at the price point can match the Krells. The amp's sound will be greatly affected by what it sits on. The famous Chinese audiophile, Albert Yeung's invention of tips made with crystal and expensive wood has the magic of bringing out the real beauty in the Krells.

Recently, I changed my KSA 300s to Krell FPB 250Ms. It was a significant step upward. The sound was amazingly transparent and detailed. Sound stage was further stretched in all dimensions. The highs are conveyed with a sense of elegance and unbelievable refinement. Yet, it still loses points to KSA 300S on bass weight and authority. Perhaps, a change to more expensive power cords can improve in this respect. I am experimenting with a few. My former positive experence with an Aural Symphonics Cube GII power cord on the KSA 300S has convinced me a possibility of improvement. I am looking for another one for a change of them to 20A sockets, as the Krell 250Ms need 2 power cords.

A perfect amplifier. Just want a bit more bass weight and authority that the Krell 300S had offered me for the last few years.

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 250m and not the 250mc. The main difference (other than cosmetics) is Krell's new CAST technology which (unless you're using other CAST components) means that any used pair of 250m will be a true bargain compared with the 250mc.

At this price range, however, any review of amps is more about personal musical preferences and component synergy than simply better/worse.

I bought these after reviewing a number of high end models. I found them brighter, punchier and more detailed than the Levinson 332. Within the Krell family, they had better soundstage and warmer mid-range than the FBP 350; FBP 350 has more grunt and bass slam.

I found that balanced (xlr) cable produced best results. Also, these monoblocs deserve better 20 amp power cords than the ones supplied. In my system, even some inexpensive proprietary power cords truly made a huge difference.

As someone who has been seaching for hi-fi nirvana for about 5 years, I believe (after some months with these) that my amp lust is over.

Equipment: