Krell FPB-300
Description: 2 channel, 300W at 8 ohms, power doubles each halving of impedance load

Submitted by audiohuib a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
My system consists of a Wadia 16 cd player, a Krell FPB 300 and B&W 801 speakers.
I just recently bought the B@W speakers on the second hand market, I had a set years ago (in a somewhat different configuration), but replaced them to improve overall performance.
This appeared a mistake I began to miss the attack and the deep bass of the 801's.
The 801's are often critizied because of its uncontrolled and over emphazid bass. However I discovered that this is not a problem of the speakers but is a recording problem. For instance playing cd's recorded by Cheszky there is no problem at all.
The FPB 300 is a great amplifier and when I once in a while organize listening sessions for audiophile friends they are honestly impressed.
What I like about the configuration is also the fact that volume control is in the digital domain, where "you" are in complete control. Critics are mainly analogue freeks who don't understand the digital domain.
I think you can buy the complete set second hand for around € 7.500,- maybe a little more.
And I challenge anyone to come up with a new system under € 40.000,- that outperformances this configuration.

Submitted by Direk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Hi,
I've been using this FPB300 amp,then day came it needs a repair.Opening my amplifier(not recommended),those filter capacitors in the power supply section makes its due,also affecting some particular integrated circuits inside.Looking for capacitor replacement made me re-reading all my hifi magazine about Krell amplifier which leads me to FPB600 using Panasonic brand electrolytic capacitors.Luckily,its big but has the same capacitance value also with higher voltage rating and still has space(they got the same control board based on FPB600 written on it) to use it for my FPB300 for which i did.After the first note..c'mon..after the song ends...those common comment of having dark sound has banished and swear to all Krell user,the power presentation is now better in terms of effortless in nature.Unlike before where you can still feel that it tries to breathe and its just can't make it.Now i got the FPB600 character somehow after the capacitor modifications. Warning:this comment is all about my experience with the sound after the capacitor modifications and not to encourage you to do it.

Purchased At:   Jeddah,Saudi Arabia

Submitted by Turtle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp. a year ago. For me it is the best i ever heard. The combination with the Ml 390s and Vienna Acoustic Mahler is a good one !

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by CHO a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is slightly expensive but very wonderful sounding.
High is smooth, midrange is very faithful, and bass is tight and thick, above all it's soundstage is very good.
I have compared it with another amp for a long time, Levison, Cello, Bat, Pass Labs, etc.
Levinson is rigid in high, Collo is not warm, Bat is inferior in resolution, and Pass Labs fail to be dynamic.
After all, I give it 5 stars, but anothers 4 stars.

Submitted by Shahid Khan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Its a very strong,strong,strong amp there are many words to describe it but the are all along the lines of strong powerful and so on and so forth ,but it just sounds so great if it was a person, it would be that person that you can get enough of ,a real lover, it holds my attention for hours, it is a god, amoung men ,it is one of the true great bench mark amp it shall be so for many years or until they can use some exotic new power source,
That will make the krell look like a old steam engine
wheres my spade?