Jolida JD-1701 Amplifiers

50 w/channel tube/mosfet hybrid amp

Submitted by patrick r gartner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amp is truely great . Especially for the asking price.It has many strengths and few weaknesses in my eyes . Everyone says that it is essentail to put better tubes in this amp , and it is . However i think that the power chord should be first on the list of upgrades. It made a larger improvement in sound than did any of the tubes i have tried . Also the good old isolation trick works wonders (tennis or squash balls in a tripod). The reason i took my time writing this review is because i have been trying to find something better for the price and have so far been unsuccesful. Once upgraded you get a truely wonderful sound . Somehow this amp portrays details and nuances which are extremely clear but unfatiging at the same time . I should mention that i am running b&w 602s3 . Not the best by any stretch but i love them as well. Back to the jolida.... For its power rating it has a huge , open , detailed , and warm sound. It seems like it is becomming a cliche to say that this amp has the best of both worlds of tube and solid state , but it is absolutely true in my experience. A local audio shop allowed me to bring home a 2nd hand 302b(upgraded with electro harmonics tubes) and i listened to it against my 1701. It was an interesting comparison . The presentation as compared to the 1701 was lacking in the bass slightly , not a bad thing. However the entire spectrum seemed to be shifted giving the 302 a brighter sound ..... In my system and to my taste. I'm not saying that with different components the 302 would'nt sound great. Another one of the 1701's strengths is its versatility . It plays all types of music very well . I love how i can play slipknot on my system at very high levels and not have my ears bleed but at the same time hear everything in the music. Throw on some mozart however and the 1701 delivers a great soundstage and overall balance. The depth could be slightly better but i feel guilty saying this at such a rediculous asking price . This amp just allow's you to enjoy listening to music and for long periods at that. I have had the opportunity to listen to some really good equipment in my area that sounds wonderful . I can honestly say that i would risk the last word in detail for a system that brings me as much enjoyment as mine. yes i am a romantic in the sense of audio reproduction.... that's just my taste , i like it envolving. nice job jolida !

Submitted by Travis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
This product is quite simply one of the very best deals in all of audio. This is an absolutely georgeous sounding integrated at a price that is an absolute steal. The other reviews here characterize the sound of this piece very well, so I won't go into detail other than to say words like "magic" are right on the money.
A few tweaks really enhance the already great sound of this piece: 1. Remove the cover entirely if your cabinet or rack allows it (bear in mind tubes get hot and there are high voltages inside - so make sure little ones and pets aren't going to get at it in this state). The denuded 1701 opens up quite a bit with the cover off and also gains another level of transparency. 2. Mount the 1701 on a set of quality footers (I use Mapleshade Heavyfoot brass footers). Another step up in clarity, detail and transparency! 3. Try rolling the tubes (think NOS) . 4. Replace the stock power cord. These tweaks take the 1701 to another level - a level very few pieces can achieve no matter how much you spend.
My advice: Just buy one of these and you'll have so much fun listening (and tweaking it), you won't even think about other amps!

Submitted by Paracelsus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful piece of equipment. It is simplicity personified: an on-off switch, a selector knob for 4 line-level inputs, and a volume control knob, that's it. No tone controls, no balance control, no phono input, no remote. What it has is lovely, smooth, satisfying sound.

There are 2 tubes inside the surprisingly heavy case (30 pounds) which you can change if you wish (or, of course, if one burns out and you need to). Different tubes do sound different, by the way. I haven't tried the original tubes because I immediately substituted Sovtek tubes, which are generally thought to be superior. They were all right but not terrific. Some research revealed that there are 3 levels of Sovtek tubes that fit this unit. The ones I first put in were the basic ones: 12AX7WA. The best ones replace the suffix WA with LPS; I have them in now and they sound much better to me: better definition and much better low extension.

If you have a turntable, you will have noted that this unit has no phono input. That means you must provide a phono preamp which you can then connect to any of the 4 line level input jacks (they're marked CD etc. but they're identical). I am using the Pro-Ject Phono Box phono preamp which costs just $120 and can even be used with a moving coil cartridge (by changing jumpers inside).

I have tried many pieces of audio equipment over the years. I listen mostly to classical music with an emphasis on the vocal (I have sung with the London Symphony Chorus and other professional and amateur choirs). Music is a large part of my life. I have only two tests of audio reproduction equipment: can separate instruments and voices be distinguished? and is the overall production enjoyable even after many hours of listening. The Jolida 1701 passes these tests with flying colors. I highly recommend it, at least for people who share my musical tastes. (I have no idea how it would handle heavy metal or the like.)

I also highly recommend Bill Baker of Response Audio in Endicott NY, 1-888-785-9773, from whom I bought it. Bill is knowledgeable, helpful, and available (he answers his own phone). He specializes in upgrading equipment but also sells things as they come from the manufacturer. Most of all, he's a gentleman.

Purchased At:   Response Audio

Submitted by wpm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is one of the most overlooked amplifiers on the market. Why, I do not know? For me, its use has been nothing short of a revelation and, over time, it has become the foundation of my entire audio system.

One could search high and low and not find a better amplifier at any cost. I know this because I have done just that in trying to find suitable amplification to drive my Magnepan MG-1s (to my liking).

The 1701a has been the only amplifier to display all the virtues that I desire: Warmth, detail, depth, and bass (great bass). However, these virtues alone do not make a great amplifier unless they can be portrayed in a convincing manner; and they are.

Being a tube-o-phile at heart, I have used an Jolida 502A, as well as various other all-tube amplifiers, for a number of years to drive several different pairs of Magneplanars, but felt there was always something missing.

What I found through using the 1701a is that is has the uncanny ability to make music come alive, giving it a sense of space and weight, unlike the other amplifiers I tried. The slight amount of compression I experienced when using the 502A was completely gone. Music just ebbed and flowed through the 1701A, in an effortless manner, never sounding restricted or veiled.

There is a perfect balance between tone, dynamics, and space, that is hard to describe. It just sounds natural to me. My MG-1s have never sounded better.

Sure, I could have spent more money on an "audiophile' grade amp (been there, done that), but there really was no need since Jolida made this one so special.

It has all the warmth of of tubes that I desire, but with a healthy dose of bass not found in their (and a number of other) all-tube, integraded amp designs.

I cannot recommend this amp enough. It has literally changed the way I listen to music, and view audio equipment as a whole. Everything is there with this amplifier, and at a cost that will leave your head spinning.

Audition the 1701a, especially if you own smaller Magneplanars, from the MG-12s on down. You will be amazed.

(For the record, the stock Jolida 12AX7 preamp section tubes were replaced with a pair of 1984 NOS JAN/GE 5751 tubes)

Purchased At:   Galen Carol Audio

Submitted by henry77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
When my Electrocompaniet amp expired, I needed a replacement and my budget was around 500.00 dollars. I order my Jolida 1701 amp from Response Audio and it arrived with no major issues to report. The first thing I noticed this is a hefty amp (over 30lbs) and looked impressive for the price. I hooked up my Maggies (SMGb) and my Rotel RCD-855 cd player. I first put on some familiar music like Doobie Brothers - Living on the Fault Line, Linda Ronstant - Blue Bayou and Harry Connick Jr. - big band cuts. I was very impressed with the vocals, midrange, 3-D imaging and soundstage of the music. I would say it was superior to the Electrocompaniet Amp in some areas but was not as forgiving. If the source was not recorded well, it will reveal all it's flaws. I did replace the stock tubes with Sovtek 12AX7's for even superior sound (less treble edge and a better midrange). It's rated 50 watts per channel is more than sufficient to drive my Maggie's (SMGb) speakers.

Purchased At:   Response Audio