Jolida JD-1000a Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1699.00

150 watt tube integrated amplifier. 8 pcs, EL34s, 2 pcs 12AX7As, 2 pcs 12AT7s.

Submitted by Don a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have purchased a modified version of the amp from a fellow who goes by the name of “underwoodwally” on Audiogon. I have not heard the stock version of this amp, but I can see from the other reviews here that everyone is amazed by theirs. Let me say that the modified version is just about as good an amp as I have heard! The modification consists of upgrades to the internal wiring with Cardas cable, various new caps, resistors, etc…. The stock Chinese preamp tubes are also replaced with Electro Harmonix versions. The 8 EL34’s are still the stock Chinese tubes. The modified version is sold for $1990 right now, but I purchased their demo for the $1690 list price. I never met underwoodwalley, but Walter (his real name) provided excellent advice, shipped immediately, and was very professional. I am sure that there are other sources for this amp, both stock and modified, with similar deals, but if you are interested, check Walter out as he is very fair and a pleasure to deal with.

The Jolida replaces a Krell KAV 300i integrated. The Krell was a very good amp. The Jolida completely and totally blows it away in every category. The source is an Opera Audio Consonance 2.2 CD player (excellent very smooth player with a tubed output section) and the speakers are Joseph Audio RM25si Mk II’s. I listen to all sorts of music from Bach on period instruments to good old Grateful Dead tunes. I also have lots of jazz recordings. I have used this amp for a couple of weeks now and it is fabulous! I could spend time trying to describe the sound, but the best thing to do is to say that it sounds like music! You immediately stop listening for what the amp is or isn’t doing well and just focus on the music! All the harshness of a solid state amp (even a very good one) is gone. All the highs and lows are there as they should be and the midrange is fantastic. Female vocals are stunning. You can hear the resonance in the bodies of acoustic and percussion instruments that you could never really discern on the Krell – and again, the Krell is a pretty darn good amp. There is plenty of power to drive all but the most mammoth inefficient speakers. I found over the years with my various other amps – that I always was fiddling with the volume, trying to get it to sound just right. With the Jolida, you set the volume and just listen to the music. Who needs a remote….. I think we get sucked into specifications with hifi products. The Krell and it’s various solid state predecessors in my system had far lower distortion and more power output than the Jolida on paper. If you put your ear to the speakers on idle the Jolida is noisier. However, you cannot hear any noise beyond about 4 – 6 inches from the speaker so it is irrelevant. I don’t mean to imply that it is a noisy amp either. Just that hum and noise are rated at 85 db down versus probably 100 db for the Krell – but who cares. The Jolida is rated at under 1 % THD and the Krell is virtually unmeasurable – who cares. When you listen to both there is no comparison. The Krell is a good amp, but it is nowhere near as musical as the Jolida. Not even close. I have no doubt that you can find another 100 watt/ch tubed integrated amp that is somehow better than this one, but you will spend big bucks to do it. I have a set of Siemens EL34 tubes on order from the Parts Connexion and can’t wait to hear them. I have been told it will be a subtle, but noticeable difference and the tubes will last longer. Then I stop because this amp is wonderful even with the stock EL34’s. To sum it up, this amp is incredibly musical and non-fatiguing. You just want to keep listening.

As for weaknesses…well it weighs 60 lbs and is probably capable of heating a small room by itself, but you won’t care when you hear it! It also has no remote and you have to bias the output tubes. This requires a cheap multimeter, a screwdriver, and about 20 – 30 minutes. If you can read and are even the least bit handy you will have no trouble and it is worth it! If you have to order one of these from someone without auditioning it I can pretty much guarantee that you won’t be disappointed if you are a music lover. If you are obsessed with knobs and remotes and buttons and the like, then maybe this isn’t for you. However, if you just want to hear your music collection in a way you have never experienced it then try one of these amps!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Dmorris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is a huge "GIANT KILLER." I have never experienced such musical clarity. I am currently using 8 Svetlana EL34, 2 Svetlana 12ax7 and 2 Jan-Phillips 12at7. My music is heard thru out my home as if you were right in front of the speakers. There is no distortion in any of my inputs. Playback of CD's or Minidisc is a pure pleasure.

Submitted by Vincent a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have noticed that all reviewers, including me, have found this amp by happenstance and not a prolonged and expensive march through snake oil laden audio swamps that the average audiophile must endure. Can it be we have collectively stumbled on the perfect amp for less than golden eared folks spend on cable trying to fix their ill mannered Class “A” amps? I can truthfully report in my case, I have yet to hear better than the Jolida 1000.

I use mine to power Apogee Stage speakers. I decided to try the 1000 after being won over by Jolida’s cd player after had I tried Onkyo, Phillips, and Sony ES cd players. I bought my 1000 at Audiogon equipped with Svetlana tubes.

It replaced a 200 watt B&K 4420 solid state amp, that had in turn buried a Denon 100 watt amp. With the B&K, the sound was strong, and full. However, there was a hint of grain and it outright beamed at about 9000 hz. With much of my musical material, I had an uncontrollable urge to keep turning up the volume in search of “real.” (My Apogees are capable of giving “real .”) Finally I realized it was futile trying to coax civility out of the B&K. After plugging the Jolida 1000 in, I wondered why I waited so long to make the switch.

I really don’t think us reviewers here are naive and just don’t know the wonders of owning Krell, Levinson, Jadis, or Musical Fidelity Nuvistas. I’ve heard all of these on Apogee speakers. Believe me, Jolida owners, you’re not missing a thing! We just can’t help having found the right amp in short time...and to save all that money we’d have to spend on equal sounding amps, had we’d not tried Jolida.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amplifier has been a blessing. I bought it after becoming completely fed up with the whole hometheater thing - speakers & cables everywhere. Movies sounded edgy and forward even with the THX certified re-eq feature; In two channel mode, some things sounded fine (small jazz groups, classical); but much of the music (especially vocals) lacked midrange warmth. Alternative rock in particular sounded sterile, dry, and very forward.

After six months of frustration - (Dealing with local Hifi guys, moving equipment here, there & everywhere trying to find optimal speaker placement) - I read about the 1000a in Absolute Sound & called Jolida to learn more. I ended up buying my amp unseen & unheard from Galen at Galen Carol Audio (He fedex'ed it the day I ordered it). He also gave me a good deal (which I'll keep to myself). He'll probably hook you up too.

The amp arrived very well packaged & went together easily (Power tubes were in their own boxes and had to be installed in the amplifier). I turned it on & it sounded great even before biasing. I use a Sony DVP S7700 as my primary Audio (CD)/Video (DVD) source. It works nicely with this amplifier. I have the combo paired with Soliloquy 5.0's w/stands (also purchased unseen/unheard base on converstaions with Jolida & several very descriptive reviews).

I usually listen to music at moderate volume levels. I am impressed with the punch & impact of this amp at such levels - a warmth that was totally absent from my solid state amps. Midrange is absolutley wonderful. I listen to alot of female artists (Tori Amos, No Doubt (Gwen Stefani), Lisa Loeb). They sound wonderful (I even get the prickles listening at times) - none of the nasal or cupped hand quality I used to hear.

Movies (DVD's) were especially annoying with my previous equipment (accentuating the movies tipped up EQ). I used to watch movies waiting for some grating passage. I literally could not relax & just enjoy a movie - I would push this button or that on the remote or jump up and fiddle with the connections. Something always seemed to distract me from the movie itself (and my wife was ready to kill me :) ).

Now I am able to sit & enjoy every movie. Despite being limited to only two channels, the sound stage is very wide & deep - more involving, less point source oriented... And as with music, voices are warm and clear (like a real voice); the score & special effects have impact/punch and depth. I can now pop a DVD in the S7700 and never give my equipment a second thought... In fact I haven't changed a thing since putting my Christmas present in my amp (8 brand new Svetlana EL34's).

I really don't believe in "best" or "worst" ratings. What is best for me may not be best for you -- some people love beer & pizza others champagne & caviar. Not everyone will want to pay this much for an amp without all the bells and whistles; others won't listen to anything this inexpensive (Not when you can afford a $20k Krell).

I will say this: The Jolida 1000a is a bargain. It is solidly built, extremely capable, & more (those intangibles). Hopefully, I've communicated my musical likes & dislikes. If they sound familiar, this amp might be for you. Give it a listen. I find it pretty much disappears from the room when music or movies playing - you quite literally forget it's there. If you're into gizmo's and just can't live without a remote, I'd look at Jolida's other hybrid offerings.

Purchased At:   Galen Carol

Submitted by Derek a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up. The first 1000a I purchased had to go back due to damage during shipping. Moondance Audio in Denver really sucks, very poor service. Anyway, I purchased the other 1000a from responseaudio/Bill Baker and the customer service from Bill was excellent. However I had a small problem with one of the channels dying out on me. The problem was in the power cord that was supplied with the unit. So I bought some beldin cable and made my own power cord. Both channels sound great.. This is the best amp I have ever owned in my life. Their is no background hiss or hum from the speakers even with the volume turned all the way up. You get pure "black sound" from this amp.

ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT: