Hitachi HMA-8500 MKII Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

100 Watt Mosfet Power Amplifier (1977-1983)

Submitted by cdwitmer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I agree to a considerable degree with the first reviewer of this product. I purchased two of these amplifiers in the mid-1980s, and it was one of the smartest audio purchases I ever made. However, I will add that I am glad I purchased two of these things, because after using them bridged (i.e., as a pair of monaural amplifiers), I would NEVER want to go back to using them in unbridged mode. For this reason, I would not recommend this as a stereo amplifier. In my opinion, this amp is best thought of as a monaural amplifier, and as a monaural amp it is hard to beat -- at ANY price. Both my amplifiers required servicing over time. At the time of servicing, it became apparent that the soldering in my amps was not the best but the service technician fixed that up real well.

Purchased At:   Military audio shop

Submitted by Thom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp is classy and built like a tank. If I could find another I would buy it in an instant. Very clean output, very classy design. Previous page said production ended in 1983, however I bought mine new in 1986 (when I was in W. Germany serving in the Army) and mine has a production date of 1986.

Purchased At:   military AV shop