Hafler DH-500
Description: 255 Watts - Fan Cooled/Self Protective Capable (1980-1989)

Submitted by mohan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
i just brought the hafler dh 500 power amp and hafler 110 pre amp, the sound is mind blowing,very smooth and very detailed music the bass is very tight,it has tremendous power,rated at 255 watts per channel,even on quarter volume it is very loud and clear,over all a fantastic amp which i paid around 350 dollars in mumbai,India,worth every penny i spend,it is as good as the nakamichi amp II i had 11 years back,nowadays amp has no quality i brought a nad c372 new amplifier which is 150 watts per channel but sounds rubbish in front of hafler, i just need to upgrade my speakers currently i am using wharfdale 9.1 tower speaker but i plan to buy kef 105 reference II which should be a good match for my hafler, any body getting a hafler in the second hand shop must just grab it

Submitted by odraude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased the amp used and after testing I immediately have the 20,000uF Caps replaced with 2-23,000uF 100V Sprague. Replaced the fuse holder, upgraded with Hexford bridge, gold phono jacks, 4-100uf/100V blackgates, 2-2uF Solens caps, and new upgrade power cord. $267 later (includes labor cost), the results are:
- 294 watts per channel at 6ohms
- Distortion at 10watts =
-- .009% left channel
-- .007% right channel
Results:
- more quiet with the new 23,000uf Sprague caps. etc...
- sonically sounds a lot better good enough to compete with some tubes
- woke up my SDA-SRS Studio 1C like a giant that had been in a long sleep
- non-fatigue listening, I could listen to this upgraded amp for hours without
getting tired for unlimited hours.

After breaking it in with my upgraded Apt Holman preamp (see my Apt Holman review here), this Apt Holman preamp and DH-500 power amp will stay with me and will never be re-sold. IT is highly suggested that if you have vintage equipment like this, you should replace the capacitors with new and sonically better capacitors. The only reason Sprague was used for the capacitors is because during that time, my tech cannot find a matching Blackgate, V-caps, and AudioNote that I preferred. Vishay/Sprague is an excellent product because it is the choice made by the highly praised by the expert and pioneer Professional Systems Engineering "PSE" (way ahead of their time - not in production anymore). If you happen to have one of these PSEs open it up and you will see Spragues all over inside the cabinet.
I have seen a lot of vintage equipment but all they use is cheap generic capacitors (including my Acurus RL-11 which I had it upgraded with Blackgates also).

Finally, my newly upgraded DH-500 had been done with "breaking-in" (2 hours at a time, rest and another 2 hours, until it reaches at least 50 hours to hear the improvement) --and this amp will give me another 20 years of listening pleasure and until it will be upgraded again sometime in the future.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Hal2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I was driving Huge ESS AMT3 Rock Monitors With an old Marantz 2270 receiver and thought i had great sound. When a good party took out the Marantz, I went to get the Hafler 500 unheard, on reputation alone. Well, my old speakers have opened up like never before. Bass is tight and controlled at any volume. No music i can throw at it can faze this amp. not Loud Rap or my best classical SACDs at full volume. My wife almost divorced me while testing. Shows the limits of your speakers, and thankfully, mine are very high. Feeding it SACDs and Mp3s through a Lexicon preamp now. Have experimented with output fuses, and am protected to 6 amperes now. It can put out 30 amps per channel! This is loud, clear, unrestrained, and built like a tank.. the power supply is the size of a large grapefruit. Best piece of equipment I've ever bought. This piece stays. I would love to put this old relic up against any pricey boutique amp and a/b them with revealing speakers. Instant high end for me at pauper prices. Wish I had three more for my home theater.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by userme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
i recently purchased a rotel rb-985 (100x5) based on positive reviews and personal experience with a rotel rb-980bx (120wx2). i was hoping to downsize my system which had consisted of 2 hafler dh-500s and a yet to be deteremined center channel amp. i hooked up the rb-985 and it sounded thin, tinny. i thought maybe my system settings had gotten messed up. maybe the dvd and/or preamp were set for small front speakers and/or applying a cutoff.

i checked settings and they were correct. listened to the rotel some more and then hooked up a one of the dh-500s. it was immediately apparent that i needed to box up the rb-985 and a rotel av receiver rsx-972 (75x5) that i had auditioned. put them on ebay and take my second dh-500, which i had listed on ebay, off. go find a center channel amp and a rack to hold my two dh-500s!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by BoogWar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was once a P.A. system owner/operator in Kingston, Jamaica. We do P.A. a little differently down here. Systems (we call them "machines" or "sounds") with 100 KW capability are not unheard of, with driver elements numbering in the 100's. I ran my DH-500 on six bass bins loaded with (if I remember correctly) 15" 2245 JBL Woofers. The power of this amp left nothing to the imagination. Superb. Rocked my clients for three years without a hiccup. Supremely musical, transparent amp. There is a sound locally called "Crystal" that uses nothing but these amps. I think he has about 20 of them. Real class act, this amp.