Hafler 9505 Transnova Amplifiers

4.47/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $2200.00

250w x2 Channels - Balanced Inputs - Bridgeable

Submitted by KEVIN NUNN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Apparently there were several revisions made in these amplifiers during the time they were made. The one I have seems to have had all of them, and perhaps this is why I'm so enthusiastic with this amps listening qualities. I THINK it's a 2010 or just before they stopped production. I bought mine from the original owner after he decided to go with his high efficiency single speaker system powered by 5 watt single ended triode amps. I'm sure that sounds nice, but I'm a full range music kind of guy, and I like real full range speakers.

I've listened to this amplifier with every kind of music, and with every kind of speaker. Here is what it does so well - First, the energy and WEIGHT of the mid range is superior to nearly any other solid state amp I've used.
Piano for example isn't thin, or anemic as it can be through many other solid state amps, including very highly reviewed units costing thousands of dollars more then these go for. When the musician is being light in their touch, so is the reproduced sound, very airy and sweet. BUT - when the musician is jumping on it, this amplifier keeps right up with them!
It is a terrific amplifier having both very detailed reproduction, as well as the visceral power and weight when it's in the music. Second - The highs are smooth, and sound much like a WELL DESIGNED tube amplifier. It's not a sizzle and screech amp, It's never "grainy", but consistently smooth and natural. My experience is that if it hurts to listen, then something is wrong, and if most everything hurts when you turn up the volume to a realistic level, then it's most likely the common components, which is often the amplifier if that happens on more then one set of speakers. This won't make your ears bleed!
Third - The bass, is simply as good as I've heard from any amplifier, ever! What more needs to be said there?

This amplifier unlike previous Hafler labeled designs does not use, nor does it need a noisy fan to keep it in the good operational temperature range, The wrap around heat sinks get a little warm when pressed hard into low impedance loads, and that's about it.

It's looks are good, although not strikingly. so Too bad nice big analog meters are seldom seen anymore, those would have been the icing on the cake here..
Build quality none the less is first rate. Having owned many other amplifiers, I've made this one a keeper. While some more esoteric Class A amplifiers may be a little warmer(in every way...), where this one is a hair more clinical, it's overall qualities makes it much easier to live with. It does more things right, and fewer things wrong then just about any other, and it does it reliably, and is affordable too! No worries it will blow up from someone switching on a light on the same circuit, or a dropped needle on a record, or a thousand other things which can drive you batty with a $10,000 Jabba-the hut-amplifier sitting on your floor and heating up the room all summer. If you get the chance to snag one, I think you'll be happy you did!

Submitted by Jeff*G a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very tight control of my JBLs, bass is hard hitting. Bought this off of eBay to use as a second amp to contrast my old Technics MarkII. Runs a bit hot, and to my ear sounds better after really heating up.

Originally I wanted to try something THX rated. At the time I bought this (1999) the THX rating was hard to come by, and expensive. I found an amazing deal and took a chance, it was well worth it. The thing was 'as new', with box and manual.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by 9000rpm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been using this amp with my Mirage M5si speakers since 1995. When I first bought my speakers I could only afford the Adcom 545II amp. A good amp, but the difference when I switched to the 9505 was significant. The bottom became much tighter, the midrange cleaner, and the top more extended. Overall, a clearer and more controlled sound. The Adcom is still a good amp, I have it packed up in the garage, someday I know I'll use it for another system.

Purchased At:   Local Music Store in

Submitted by Tang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp because of reviews of similar productin magazines. I did not audition it anywhere. Even thought I had the option to return the unit, I kept it because it exceeded my expectation.

I used it to drive a pair of Apogee Centaurs Minors, which are fairly power hungry. The Rotel 980 could not drive the Apogees, but the 9505 drove them at ease. Bass is limited by the Apogees but clearly better with the 9505.

Mid range is really sweet, it is just right. It has a clear sound stage. The speakers simply disappeared. It never failed to impress visitors.

I have tried to use the balanced input, directly from the balanced output of my Theta DAC, but I did not like it. The unbalanced input is more natural.

The best possible sound when I used a passive preamp.

Submitted by Hadrian Tuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
When considering Amps, I spent a long time auditioning high end products like Macintosh, PS Audio and Theta. this was all very confusing unjtill I walked into Sam Ash to brouse at the commercial products I spotted a Hafler 1500 studio amp in the recording room and asked to see the specs. I was impressed by the huge band width, but the unit was very ugly with a separate volume control for each Channel (poinless resistance)I ask is Hafler had better component, that when I was introduced to the "Special Order" 9505.

In the few Years that I have used this amp I have built quite an audiophile system to which the 9505 is still the heart. The 9505 continues to impress me everytime I listen to any music ranging from orchestral to heavy rock

Price Paid:    $2000.00