Hafler 9303 Amplifiers

150 Watt Rack Mountable THX Certified Power Amplifier (1996)

Submitted by DPS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just bought this 9303 for $400.00 .....I was going to use it as a hold over until I could get a much more expensive brand new power amp. Now I'm thinking twice, this amp has smooth detailed power to spare. It's built like a tank and drives my MMG's with authority and fine detail.
Buying smart in 2014 means the new amp can wait until this thing dies.....if I spot another one in as good condition as this one I'll buy it............

Submitted by GibsonSG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Recently, i was thinking to get my first separate system. It was a dream and it come true!

My budget was limited but i know i could found something great used.I start to look at used
electronic on line and found a Hafler transnova 9303 for $400. Audioreview has helping me
to made my choice. I really love this power amp. Great bass, dynamic and detail. First
it was connected to a stock Hafler dh-101. But i was feeling that i miss something...And
i get a chance to buy a used pream a Meridian 565 for $220... WOW, a big step. The
bass became alive and natural and the dynamic base of music was full. I really enjoy
this system. So before to buy good used power cord i get an interconnect cable. And
again the Synergetic Research looking glass made an other level of clarity it like the
Hafler and the Meridian became one living in perfect harmony.

By this experience i will say that i learn something; A great power amp/pream do'nt need a tone control to add something to the sound because it THERE NATURALLY.

I praise the Hafler 9303 if you can find one. But if you found 2 it better because they can
be run as mono block.

Submitted by Gar a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great transparent sound, will run just about any speaker. Have balanced outputs and small profile make it easy for limited space. Debating on weather to sell these units, I have three for my HT system and need to make room, so I was looking into 5 channel Amps again. I will Hafler will make one, and from what I have been hearing they are in the middle of getting back into the consumer market again.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Alan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
Get on from HCM audio for $649 before there gone!

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this amp. As a former McIntosh fanatic, who loves the soft easy to listen to sound of Mac amps, I had a difficult time finding an amp that didn't grate on my ears.

I gave up on the old McIntosh stuff because they lacked detail, very smooth sound, but no detail. Since then, I tried several amps, most of which offered more detail and clairity, but at the expense of harshness. The Counterpoint amp is also easy to listen to, but the bass is all messed up. Musical fidedity is great, but just a little to polite. The Bellis 150A was nearly perfect, but at $1500, it cost nearly 3 times what I paid for the Hafler 9303. To my ears, the 9303 and the much praised Bellis, are very close cousins.

Here's the kicker....

There's a place called HCMAudio.com, who sells factory remanufactured Hafler amps for cheap. I got my 9303 for $649. This is a steal.

Stereophile mag gave the Hafler 9300 (same amp, but without the balanced inputs) a class B, recommended component rating, and that was based on the retail price of $1400. At $649, what else can you say.

Let's see, what else...

Usual drival about great bass and dynamics, but the best quality is the amps ability to reproduce those delicate, subtle sounds, like when Eric Clapton accidently wacks his guitar on the leg of his chair, on the Uplugged CD. With my old Carver cube, I never even heard this sound. With the Mac amp, I heard a thud, but couldn't identify it.

With the Hafler, I could tell exactly what happed.

Great sound, plain-jane cosmetics