Golden Tube SE-100 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

100 watt per channel EL-34 based Class A/B push/pull power amplifier which can be run in three modes - two channel fixed output, two channel variable output, and bridged for 200 watts mono.

Submitted by Ioannis Konstantaras a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I think i can say a thing or two about these tube monsters (45Kgs) as i own three and at one time had 8 under my roof !
A wonderful amp capable of producing 2X100 or (and this is the good news) 1X200 watts of pure joy.
Some reliability problems have been reported (at the downfall of Solo Electronics) but these are nothing
a tech or an experienced DIY person can't fix.They are a bit hard on their tubes ,so you better bias a little lower
than recommended.Their sound is nor soft or tubey,I can say it's more energetic and thrilling than most tube amps!Beats hands down most SS amps and tube amps costing 3-5 times as much (see Cary V12).
They go around at 1000$ a piece and this makes them perfect candidates for a twin mono system.
I did so and never looked back.I did some modifications to improve their reliability and have them for 5 years
without problems (even the tubes are the same!).Heck ,as my system is growing and becoming more power hungry, i bought an extra one for my tweeters (as stereo).
Plus, besides the excellent sound you get as bonus their wonderful looks,thick (1/2" faceplate),and a real
conversation piece in your collection.What's not to like?Ah...if you have kids or pets you have to construct
some kind of tube cage to protect the tubes from danger as it was produced without one!That's the only negative thing i can say about them...

Submitted by mikelballinger a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
After finally getting the speakers I'd lusted after for many many years, a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11 hybrid electrostatics, I went through many amplifiers hoping to bring out the best in these remarkable speakers. I've gone through some big name solid state gear including an Audio Research D-100B, a Sterophile Class C rated Hafler 9300 Transnova, a Belles 150A Hot Rod, a pair of Antique Sound Labs Class A mono blocks, but I wasn't ever able to make the Acoustats really sing until I mated them with the Golden Tube SE-100. This combination provided outstanding bass response (not at all tubby), a truly liquid midrange that made female vocalists like Bonnie Raitt, Valerie Carter, and Linda Ronstadt come right into my living room, and a smooth, yet detailed top end, not at all rolled off perhaps because of the speed and accuracy of the Acoustats. But, I so fell in love with the sound of the amp/speaker combination that I took the leap and invested in a second SE-100 and bridged them into mono. Using them in the mono block configuration yielded outstanding results, in particular opening up a vastly expanded soundstage with both tremendous depth and localization. And then, when I added the near legendary Audible Illusions Modulus Three preamp, I then had finally reached my dream system. I know that there will be other audiophiles out there who will look down their collective noses at this statement, but for the modest amount of my investment, I have achieved literally jaw dropping results. Yes, Golden Tube's parent company went out of business some time ago, but these amps can still be repaired or modified easily by reputable online vendors. For a high powered all tube amplifier, the SE-100 is, in my humble opinion, an excellent buy on the used market if you can find one. I've rated the amp five stars for value because you just don't find this kind of power and performance for this kind of price. But, I've only rated it four stars for overall since the company is out of business and getting service will take some effort.

Purchased At:   used