Enlightened Audio Designs Power Master 2000
Description: 5-Channel power amp

Submitted by mjaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just have to admit my mistake although it may cost me some $$$$$.

I have owned the EAD PM1000, PM2000 and PM8300 and they were all great.

The PM2000 is the crown jewel of the pack with the PM8300 a close second. I sold of both these great amps due to unbelievable offers that at the time seamed like no brainers. Turns our I was the one with no brain as I have yet to buy an amp that I enjoy more. The amp that replaced the PM2000 was the Theta Dreadnaught and it was a solid disappointment. The Theta was nice for vocals and classical but lacked the shear power and dynamics of the EAD for all other material. The Theta is boring compared to all the other EAD amps. I then tried a Earthquake Cinenova on the advice of my dealer and it was better than the Theta but still not as good.

The thing I miss the most about the EAD is the control it exuded over my Von Schweikert speakers. I run my speakers crossed over at 80hz even though they extend to the mid 20hz range for all channels but with the EAD PM2000 and 8300 they seamed to run full range. My speakers have never had a more vice grip control while sounding more dynamic than ever.

I guess there is a good reason why EAD amps hardly come up for sale on the used market, people are not as nuts as I was to sell them.

Submitted by kris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is just one awesome amp. I have been through them all Pass labs, Krell, Sunfire, and others. The Pass Labs is the only other one I would say that was better then most. The EAD is just as smooth as a amp that I haver ever heard. Not as detailed as the Pass Labs X5 but it is pretty close. The power and control the amp has is amazing. The Krell kav is way overrated compared to Pass and EAD. This is one of the few that is as good on 2 channel as some of the better 2 channel amps. I will be a EAD owner for life.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by samr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I know this amp is no longer manufactured by EAD, but I wanted to post a new review in case anyone is shopping a used one. This amp blows away anything you can get for less than $5000 new right now, and that includes 2 channel amps. I have listened to the the Pass X 250 which is not as musical and a bit harsh, the Theta Dreadnaught a good amp but does not have the current capacity and headroom of this amp, Rowland model 12 similar sound but far less power and bass drive, Plinius SA250 similar in power but gets very very hot (feels like it is burning up) and sounds a bit flat with less air than the EAD IMHO. I have it driving my Vienna Acoustics Mahlers which are very power hungry and have an impedance dip to almost 2 ohms and this amp never sweats. I even had to put the input sensitivity to high as my VTL pre would start to sweat before the EAD would. Flat out this is one of the best bargains on the used market today, if you can pick one up I highly recommend doing it as they are rarely seen for sale anymore.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Mike Kao a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is truly a remarkable amp. I ran a 20 amp outlet just to bring out the full potential of the amp. The bass response is much much better and accurate. I haven't used my subwoofer after that. The music is very detail and the seperation is incredible when used with the signature preamp. I am running it with Martin Logans speakers. I would recommend this amp to people who likes to buy something at 1/2 the price but still gets the same or not better results than those other well known brands.

Purchased At:   Uptown Audio Video

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This Amp. will do everything you require in a high end System. Either 2-Channel or Home Theater; the sound is both detailed and very crisp, dynamic yet not fatiging. I've owned it now for over a year and still have no complaints about it. A powerhouse with plenty of reserves.
I love the way it drives my B&W 801's with ease. All the other reviewer's have pretty much covered the intimacies regarding the sound so I won't go on and reiterate. If your looking for a bargain of an Amp. in the high end field than look no further. The powermaster will not disappoint you for years to come.

Purchased At:   Online