Edge M-6 Amplifiers

4.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $2365.00

2 channel amplifier - 120w at 8 ohms / 240w at 4 ohms

Submitted by DunninLA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp was the only truly Audiophile part of my system along with the SF Concertinos and REL sub. Now that the rest of my system has (almost) caught up, I thoroughly enjoy listening to music much more than before. From low volumes on up to the full 120 watts, there is no distortion. Going to a Heart CD6000 tube CD with NOS 7308 Siemens tubes, and bypassing the B&K pre/pro going directly into this amp via Acoustic Zen Matrix interconnects have finally allowed this amp to strut its effortless, detailed, dynamic and musical stuff. This experiment (CDP directly into amp) has led me to purchase a separate Passive preamp for stereo listening, then inserting the B&K into the passive pre. The B&K I discovered introduced lots of distortion...not recommended for stereo use!

The only fair comparison I can make is with the other amp in my home, the Rotel 985 HT amp. Comparing the two, the Edge goes much deeper, much higher, wider, and presents much, much more detail. Really no comparison at all. I also just found out the designer of another hugely respected product, the Placette Passive Line Stage Preamp, uses this amps big brother, the M8, as his reference amp.

Purchased At:   audiogon.com, used

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
These comments are for the M4 (the baby brother of the M6. This amplifier replaced an older hafler SE240 (a favorite piece of mine). When I started shopping, I sort of had my hard set on a McCormack, the high end Adcoms, or maybe an Entry Level Audio Research amplifier. In doing comparison shopping, I also looked at Bryston and musical fidelity. I came across the EDGE M4 amplifier at Archive Audio and honestly I was a little skeptical of it at first. During my listening I took this amplifier and put it into a system with much higher end components to see how it would hold its own and I was really blown away. I had a very difficult time difference between this amplifier and a couple of others that cost several times more. In terms of value I truly believe this is a giant killer.

Suffice to say, it fits very nicely into my current system (rega planet, NEAR 50Me towers, Melos SHA-1 pre-amp) and is by no means the weak link in the system. If you are in the market for a new amp, I would recommend at least taking a listen to this.

Purchased At:   Archive Audio

Submitted by RAY SEDILLO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A VERY GOOD SOUNDING,AMP.I DON'T HAVE TOP OF LINE SYSTEM.BUT WHAT THIS AMP DOSE FOR ME IS GREAT.NOT JUST BASS BUT CLEAN BASS,AND NOT JUST CLEAN BASS,BUT THE HOLE SOUND OPENED UP,REALLY NICE.VERY CLEAN.IT'S HOOK UP TO A NAK AV-10 TO POWER MY MAIN'S.MARIGE FRX9 DH-LABS BI CABLE,DH LAB RCA.NOT THE BEST PRE AMP.BUT IT WORKS,FOR ME.A BIG DIFFERANCE FOR THE NAK TO EAGE.SORRY,MINE IS M4 70 WATT'S.BY,THE WAY BOUGHT MY USED.I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM,WITH IT,CALLED EAGE,GAVE SER# TOD,WAS HIS NAME,MIGHT BE OUT OF WARRENITY.HE SAID WERE GOOD ABOUT THAT.NOW, THAT'S A COMPANY. THEY ALSO UP GRADE,VERY FAIR PRICE.DON'T BELIEVE EVERY THINK YOU READ.GET THE EAGE,LISTEN TO ONE.PS IT WASN'T AMP IT WAS MY NAK AV-10.

Submitted by Alfred Fredel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Wow....this is a killer amplifier. It knocks the bryston amps out of the water and is on par with Krell for much less money. It is overbuilt, a plus in my book and is very musical. If you can find one, give it a listen. You will be very surprised.

Submitted by Doug a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had two Edge M6 mono amps hooked up to a pair of Paradigm Studio Monitors for over four years. I listen to mainly classical, but also like Stevie Ray Vaughn and some Guns and Roses. If you are concerned about purchasing an amp from a small company, I can say that I have been nothing but delighted every time I turn them on. I have had zero problems and the sound is really amazing-open and airy, but with a bass punch that these speakers never experienced behind a Carver amp. It has been a long time since I have even been into a good audio store so I don't know what to compare them to today, but perhaps this is a testament to my satisfaction.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener