Edge AV8m Amplifiers

• Constant Current Capacity: 24 amps
  • Input Type: RCA

Submitted by strad549 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
Having read the previous review I have little to add. I called the owner of Placette Audio because I own the fabulous transparent Placette Active Line stage preamp and asked him what he used in his own personal system. He said, "Edge". That was enough for me. If HIS ears like Edge amps, so will I. I found mine at a great price in perfect condition on Audiogon. I previously was using a Parasound A21. After connecting the Edge I was totally blown away. Base response was well controlled and had real weight and impact. Midrange and treble were wondrous. Vocalist and instrumentalist sound like they're in the room with you. The amp is gorgeous to look at and, by the way, really heavy. They are also really powerful even given their numbers. In short, I am sold on Edge amps. I hope to upgrade to an NL10.1 some day. But, do I need to. Heck no. This baby is a keeper.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by JEFF_l a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the 2 channel M8m. I've wanted this amp forever, but the $5500 retail price was too steep for me when it came out. I have heard the G8 and to my ears the M8m is superior sonically. Also it has the most exquisitely milled, solid alluminum chassis I have ever seen. Edge usually sticks to the shortest signal paths so RCA connectors only. I loved the sound of this amp the first year I had it mated with the Si-1 Preamp, but when I replaced the preamp with a Placette RVC I found out how incredable the RVC and M8m really were together. The dynamics and soundstage are literally "jaw dropping", as well as the lack of bloom in the low frequencies. The high frequencies are completely free of the fatigueing hash on cymbals that I thought were something you had to live with on CD playback. The midrange has instument and voice timbre and decay "in spades". Could honestly never see replacing this combo. Can be had on Audiogon for $2000. Grab one while you can!

Price Paid:    $2000.00