Dynaco Mark III Amplifiers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $180.00

60 Watts - Dual Pentode Tube Mono Power Amp (1964-1969)

Submitted by BOYCEPHOTO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I HAVE USED MK III'S IN SOME WAY FOR MORE THAT 20 YEARS. MY FIRST PAIR WAS IN THE LATE 70'S. (I WORKED IN A HIGH END STORE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND HAD MANY DIFFERENT AMPS OF THAT ERA, AUDIO RESEARCH, THRESHOLD, AUDIONICS, KENWOOD LO7M AND OTHERS) AND I SEEM TO KEEP COMING BACK TO THEM. I NOW HAVE 2 PAIRS OF THEM W/TRIODE ELECTRONICS DRIVER BOARDS, SDS POWER SUPPLY, AND GENALEX KT88'S. USING AN AVA OMEGASTAR EC PREAMP WITH A PHASE INVERTER, THE AMPS ARE STRAPED TOGETHER TO PROVIDE OVER 100 WATTS OUTPUT. THIS COMBINATION WORKS AND SOUNDS EXCELLENT! I HAVE PACKED AWAY MY VANALSTINE OMEGA III 440HC POWER AMP, THE DYNA'S SOUND IS MORE OPEN, WITH A LARGE SOUND STAGE AND DYNAMICS. THIS IS A REAL SLEEPER COMBINATION. POWER SEEMS TO BE ENDLESS. I USE ROGERS LS3/5A'S W/SATTERBURG MW2 WOFFERS, THEY ALSO WORK GREAT ON DAHLQUIST DQ 10'S. GO TO WWW.TRIODEEL.COM AND GO FOR THE BOARD'S.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by BOYCEPHOTO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by Lou White a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used a pair of Dynaco MK III amps in my home stereo system for over 15 years. With the exception of replacing one tube, they have given me many hours of listening pleasure. Many of my friends told me to "join the 20th century" when they first saw them, but I soon changed their minds after listening to my system. I am thinking of upgrading them soon, but one thing is certain. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SOLID STATE!

Submitted by Gregory Braun a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a pair of these 60 watt vacuum tube monoblocks at auction for $300.00. The original owner had replaced the factory installed capacitors with modern polystyrene units and all resistors were upgraded to metal film components, but other than that the units remain stock in every way.

I initially auditioned them with Magnepan Magneplanar MG 1.6 Q/R loudspeakers as well as a pair of vintage Dahlquist DQ-10 Phased Arrays.

These amplifiers impart a seductive warmth to reproduced music and can faithfully recreate the original soundstage with a degree of depth that I do not normally experience with solid state amplifiers.

The 60 watt per channel power rating belies these amplifiers’ ability to produce solid bass. These are very musical sounding units, and at only $300.00 for the pair, represent a good value. When coupled with a good pair of loudspeakers these amplifiers can really shine.

I can highly recommend these amplifiers.

Sound: ****
Value: *****

Submitted by JustusVerhagen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
These guys are way old: build in the 70's.I liked these units from the very first time I heared them: soft, yet detailed. I noticed lots of "space" around instruments of various recordings (jazz, pop, e.g. Tom Waits' Rain dogs)
I played them with a Sony AX7-ESD CD-player and Apogee Duetta's MKII.

Now I modified them: the ussual renewal of ALL capacitors, esp the powersupply's caps and the coupling caps (now MIT polystyrene). I'm using it in an actively x-overed system where the MKIIIs take care of the mid/highs.These guys can prouce some 50 W in tetrode mode. I modified it into triode mode (very easy, but now only some 15 W available)which added some detail to it.

These guys can be bought only second hand now. See the great usenet group rec.audio.tubes for more.
Definitely a super bargain! Happy listening.

Sennheiser: