Densen B-300 Amplifiers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Power-Amplifier

Submitted by JLe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
The product has a good price to performance ratio but is mostly suitable for rock/jazz. For classical music it lacks the refinement and detail, hence somewhat dampening the music. The air and clarity of the highs is missing and the sound stage doesn't properly open up. The amp rocks quite well, though.

I have used this product for a good 2.5 years with a number of associated components and it has more potential that is made obvious by B-200 I had first (replaced by Hovland HP100 since) but what in the beginning appeared as warmth and musicality ended up getting on my nerves. Given good sources and preamplification the B-300 can be pushed pretty hard and it responses to things like top end interconnects (tried a number of them, up to Transparent Reference) by opening up and giving reasonable amounts of detail (still lacking the clarity, though) but give it some serious bass (loud, orchestral music) the power supply will meet it's limitations. Therefore, despite rated 100W/8ohm, 200W/4ohm it requires quite sensitive speakers.

In my unit the transistors blew up big time once (the factory replaced them for free) but other than that, I have not had quality related problems. I would prefer more space between connectors, having stiff and bulky speaker cables or interconnects with lockable terminators is likely to give you some trouble.

I am currently looking for a new power amp, and one has to dig pockets pretty deep to find an upgrade that would justify the change. On my shopping list for a new amp is 1) more clarity and less rock, 2) more power to drive speakers and 3) better connectors. In general, with this price range Densen is a good choice if you are into jazz and rock and only marginally to classical.

I am giving overall 3 stars because of the lack of versatility. If I wasn't into classical music, I would probably give 4 stars but this is a major limitation to me. Notice, however, that I have lived with the amp for 2.5 years so one can live with it happily despite the limitations.

Submitted by Maverick23 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Densen sounds different than anything else on the market. You can hear the hart and soul of the music and it just makes you want to listen for ever. The sound is very present and make you want to dance and be apart of it all.Try it!!

If you are interested in Densen products check out their website. www.densen.dk

Life is too short for boring Hi-Fi

Submitted by Michael Young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I previously had the B100 integrated so decided to upgrade to the B300 in a bi-amp/bi-wire configuration, the bigest thing that I noticed is the transformer hum that I get and the slight hum coming from the speakers when not being used. I've also just brought a Bryston 4B amp, this also hummed until I switched on the groung lift switch now it's dead silent. As the B300 had no ground lift switch, I broke off the earth prong at the plug. The speaker hum then stopped, but there was no change to the transformer hum, it was still the same. Another area of concern is the heat this can produce, it has to be vented well or will really heat up. Sound is slightly above average, but does lack a little punch and liveliness.

Purchased At:   Audio Solutions

Submitted by Armand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have just replaced my Parasound HCA 1500 poweramp (2x205 Watt) with two Densen Beat 300 that I use to biamp (and biwire) my Audiovector M3 signature speakers.

The Parasound is good, especially, for Home Cinema and surround. But when it comes too HiFi, the Beat 300 does exactly that, I mean BEAT it. The sound picture is more accurate and opens up the music for you.

I will strongly recommend this amp for biamping and biwiring as I have done. With only a single amp I felt I lacked a litte bit of bass. But with two of them.. that was something different. The result is very tight bass (but still not too much of it)

Submitted by Atle Rønningen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I replaced my NAD 216 with this good looking box from Densen. I just love my new sound!! Its this tight relax bass with plenty of power. Im using Densen's B-200 preamplifier which of course suit the B-300 perfect. The sound picture is very open with plenty of details. Go buy this perfect amplifier from Densen folks - its the best regarding to the price!!

MS 1400W: