Denon POA-8200 Amplifiers

120w x2 Channels - THX Certified Power Amplifier

Submitted by James Mota a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2017

Bottom Line:
I am using a Denon AVR 4802 as a pre-amp with the 8200/8300 combo. This was recommended to me by the gentleman who sold me the amps. The 8200 is driving a pair of Legacy Audio Classic towers from the same era. And I'm using a pair of DCM Timepiece bookshelves as a combined center channel. I've paired them with Klipsch RF-5's in the past and I really enjoyed that also but moved on to something that required much more power to drive; at 4 ohms these amps kick out 200 wpc. I've not looked back.

I listen to a lot of classical music and female vocalists. Other reviewers that say they are bass-ey without much in the higher octave, not sure what they're pairing the amps with. I don't have that issue. I'll use the Pure Audio function on my amp just to see the difference and they always sound extremely well. I will second what someone else says. In movie settings, these things are jaw dropping. After all they are THX certified. We are continuously amazed at how well this combination excels in the home entertainment system.

I highly suggest pairing them with a Denon AVR of the higher quality. When streaming high resolution audio over the internet another dimension is produced. I can also have very flat sounding music when playing music through a Schiit Uber DAC. These amps do everything extremely well! I've listened to systems using Rogue Audio, Rotel, Integra, vintage Marantz etc. This competes with all of them. I always get compliments from my other audio enthusiast friends at how well these sound.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of these is how well they perform at low listening levels. I can have my towers pumping music late night at -60 to -55 db and I've never received a complaint from anyone in the house hold.

Submitted by Don a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
POA-8300/8200 are very smooth, detailed. The mid- and high frequency ranges are absolutely magical.

Submitted by Minh a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Good sounding amp for the pricerecommended!

Submitted by Bob a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Excellent

Submitted by Jason a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1998

Bottom Line:
The Denon 8200 absolutely kicks in terms of bass, but it really lacks punch on depth and soundstage. For the same price, one might try Parasound products or McCormacks. Note though, that one picks the 8200 really for home theater use, where it excels by far. If you are using it for music listening, you would be better off with some other stuff.