Denon POA-6600 Amplifiers

4.22/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

260 Watt Mono Optical Class A Power Amp (1989-1991)

Submitted by stoneeh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are only the third amps I've used in my life - the other ones were a Denon PMA-925R and a Yamaha AX1070.

What can I say, this is probably the best fullrange amp I've used my speakers (Infinity Kappa 80) with. I currently use it fullrange because I sold my other amps.

The PMA-925R sounds better across the board, but lacks power to really drive the Kappas to enjoyable volume levels.

The AX1070 has more power than the 925R, but sounds very cheap in the highs, kinda like a walkman. Also the amp goes into hardclipping very easily if you turn it up too high.

The 6600s are like all-around good performers - maximum volume is good and they sound good all around.

However the combo I liked way best on my speakers was bi-amping with the AX1070 on the bass and the PMA-925R on the mids/highs.
The Yamaha has better bass control than the 6600s and has enough power to handle the bass on the Kappa 80s. Also the bass sounds cleaner than on the 6600s, which tend to be kind of thick in the bass.
The 925R has better highs than the 6600s, more fine-, light- and detailed-sounding.

Plus, even though the 6600s have lots of power, they will not reach the stability in the bass at the highest volumes, that the bi-amped setup will offer.

I plan on getting Vincent SP-991 Plus monoblocks and am also interested in Denon POA-S10 monoblocks maybe for bi-amping with the 6600s. If I get something new I will update this review.

Submitted by 3464abc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
Owned the poa 6600 mono blocks for three years. Operated amps with Klisch, Polk towers ,(four) mid-bass speakers each, and infinity Kappas 9, with two 12' woofers each. Excellent sound with all speakers except infinity Kappas 9. Kappas 9s destroyed the amps , both smoked , one two years after use, and the other a few months afters. The Kappa 9 are an unusual speaker, and even though they sound very good, the denons sound excellent with them except the amps stress too much at higher volumes onto a two ohm load.

Overall Denon have excellent pro and serious reliability issues on low ohm as a negative.

Submitted by Stefan Svensson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well, They are Big Black and Beautiful, I currently use them on my CV DC1515, and it is totally insane how loud you can play with these babies!!! the former owner used two nad 216 on the DC1515, it´s not to compare with!!, the 6600a has so much more warmth and better deep bass!! I´m convinced that the audiphiles would like this amp as well, and it has no problem what so ever to run at 1ohm!!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by C Proctor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these 2 amps about 13 years ago in a huge stereo sale they have once a year in South Korea!! I have never had them in the shop and they still sound and look brand new. I will never sell or get rid of these monster amps. I love them!! I have used them even when I got back to the USA and started DJing. Still no problems. They have handled all I can give them and much more.

Purchased At:   Kunsan AFB, Korea

Submitted by hifinut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently bought these on E-bay at the buy it now price of $700.00 and boy am I glad I did. These mono blocks arrived in mint condition and were put to use driving everything I own, from Vandersteen's, B&W's, Legacy Focus, and AR's with a powerful smoothness and a rich mellow midrange that I long for along with a very very powerful deep, tight and detailed bass. They are just wonderful. Another thing that's so amazing is that when your playing at low volumes the sound is still very full and rich. I found that they need to be left on for at least a week and then you should never turn them off unless your going on a vacation. I feel no worries leaving them on because of how there built and the brand name of Denon. I would not recommend using them with tiny bookshelf speaker's as if your not carefull you could damage them. I think very highly of these amps and would part with them ever. If you ever see a pair snap them up especially the POA-6600A's and just give them time to warm up. It' all in the detail's.

Purchased At:   on E-bay