DB systems DB-6A-M Amplifiers

150W Monoblock amp

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
OK...I'm not sure that it's fair to say that I have used this for as long as indicated...but the issue was (is) that I had one before (a two-channel version) and decided to augment that one and then modify the others. Admittedly, I am predisposed to liking this amplifier as I owned a DB-6 (the two-channel variety and not a DB-6M) before these. In fact, I had my DB-6 converted to a 6M (monaural) at DB Systems. Long story short I've been using the DB-6 to drive the top end (above 80 Hz or so) in my system (B&W 805 Matrix). Anyway...being an ebay addict I scored another pair of amps (one a DB-6 and the other a 6M) and then traded a few emails with David B. Hadaway (the 'DB' in DB Systems) about modifications / upgrade. Anyway...I sent in the existing DB-6, the 6M, and the other newly-purchased DB-6 to have each modified to have differential (XLR) input, add some capacitance to the power supply - oh, and convert each to mono. The 'plan' is to (eventually) get a nice home theater pre-pro and use the last 6M amplifier to drive the center channel.

OK...I know that a differential input, driven by a balanced line is one way to get very low noise levels - this is precisely why this topology exists. David cooked up a special new 'first stage', driven from the XLR inputs and did some tweaks to the amp (don't ask me for details - I didn't ask). When mated to the DB Systems preamp it's basically a quiet-fest as the DB-1 / 1A et al arte just stone cold quite preamps as well. Now...I am not an audiophile, but I do like the sound of a good system. I think my system does sound good but to be fair an honest, I have not ever performed an ABX type comparison of this amp to another (or even a simple paired comparison), so I can't say that it sounds 'better' than otehr amps I have owned. I can say though that even when you factor in modification costs, they were still a huge bargain.

Sennheiser: