Crown K-2 Amplifiers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $1795.00

2500 watts, 4000 damping factor, very efficient

Submitted by clemmtec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp to try it out on my bi speakers I was using mark lev ml 23 to drive them
when I connected the crown k2 to the woofers, and the mark lev for the mid range and the tweeters,
You can not askd for a better bass, unless you are looking for noice like you find in some cars
Yes the crown k2 do not sound good in the mids but stand back when it comes to good clean
bsaa.
I give the amp 5 stars.

Submitted by tyrebyter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
Amazing... when it works. I bought this as a factory refurbished unit from Musician's Friend to use as a bass guitar amp with a Tech21 preamp and Rane crossover driving Eminence sub, mid-bass and compression driver on CD horn. I also couldn't resist lighting-up the stereo with it driving a pair of AR LST-2s. There is no sound of its own. It is silent, powerful, light, efficient, versatile, smart, compact (2U) and pleasing to the eye. And if it matters (it does to me), was made by God fearing Americans in Indiana. Not cheap but not obscenely expensive. Now here's the rub: It failed once since it is a factory refurb. It failed when I put it in service (channels cutting out randomly). It took three weeks to get it fixed and now it is failing again (same symptoms). I'm a patient man and will not condem this product for its transgressions especially since I don't know how it was treated by its previous owner, but Crown keeps certifying this amp as 'good-to-go' and clearly, it is not. I will stick with it and send it back one more time. What else can I do anyway; I can't sell it like this. When they get it sorted out, it will be my favorite.

Purchased At:   musician's friend

Submitted by Chesteta a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
All I can say is WOW. I purchased the K2 (sub) along with a K1 (highs) off eBay and have been using them for a good 5 months now. This is in a home stereo setup. Wow, currently driving a JL 13w7 sub and Klipsch synergy SB-1's (planning to upgrade the speakers...) the sound has perfect clarity; I have yet to cause distortion with this amplifier. The bass is indeed very tight due to the damping factor; I can feel my clothing pulse against my body from the shockwave the subwoofer produces! (I am a young audiophile :) and like my bass...) the sub is actually 6.5 CF and with (2) 18" passive radiators should be hitting -3 db at 14.5 Hz (computer simulated statistic, see WinISD Pro).

I keep the gains all the way up and have to put my ear within two feet of the tweeter to hear any noise (in a dead silent room). I am planning on owning these amps for LONG to come.

In a home audio situation, I have found it necessary to use the Z1 circuit mod:**I am not to be held responsible for any damage YOU cause to YOUR amplifier: this is only meant to help people figure out what took me a very long time to find**

The Z1 circuit is labeled "Sig. Det Disable". Look (with the front of the amp facing you, upside down; you need to take off the BOTTOM of the amplifier) at the circuit board in the upper left circuit board. This should be the circuit board the XLR and 1/4" plugs are on. The Z1 circuit should be on the lower right corner of this circuit board (with the amp upside down and the front facing you). Use a small piece of wire Crown no longer will tell anyone how to do this (I found the mod described on one of the reviews on this site). I found issues with my subwoofer clicking in a tenth of a second from when it should have been playing. Please note, there is also a modification that involves replacing a resistor with one of a higher value to change the timing threshold on the circuit (makes it take longer for the amp to turn off the output stages). I have never done this (it should be simple though) and there is more information available on this mod so you should look elsewhere for that info. Sorry…

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Henri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Crown K-2 is used in my home audio system and not for professional work. This amplifier has transformed my stero system from ordinary to extraordinary! My 30 year old ADS L810 speakers never sounded so spectacular.

Purchased At:   Sam Ash

Submitted by rgvivace a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
Several reviewers have noted that the K2's "quiescent circuit" -- which puts the amp in standby or "sleep" mode in the absence of a signal -- causes problems when the amp is used for home audio. So I wrote Crown tech support and here is their reply, which seems to answer all of ***my*** questions.

Rob Gold

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Gold,

To disable the sleep circuit, on the input board in the upper left hand corner area you will see printed on the board a "Z1" location that is labeled "Sig. Det Disable". Place and jumper in this location and the sleep circuit will be disabled. The amplifier will run at idle about 200W current draw so it will be warm to the touch but it should be fine. No this will not void the warranty and it can be easily done by you.

Thanks,
Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support
Crown International, Inc.
Ph# 800-342-6939 ext.8013
Fax# 574-294-8301

-----Original Message-----
From: Rgvivace@aol.com
Subject: Defeating Crown K2 Quiescent Standby Circuit?

I am building a DIY two channel home audio speaker project and am considering the Crown K2 amp to drive the woofers. I have read that the "TLC" quiescent circuit -- which places the amp in standby mode in the absence of a signal -- can be quite obtrusive in such applications, but that there is a way this can be defeated.

1) Could you please give an overview of the process to implement this change?
2) Is this a factory-only modification, or can it be implemented by a user in the field?
3) What, if any, are the implications for thermal control and other protective functions?
4) If implemented, does this change affect the amp's warranty?

CSB 1206 BLK: