Conrad-Johnson MF200 Amplifiers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

200 Watts Per Channel Mosfet Amplifier

Submitted by Chang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was own a lot middle end 200W amplifier.like Mccormack DNA-1 ,Hafler DH-500,and DB systems,around 10 years ago I change to all tube amplifier.
This is second time I purpuse back this big amp.only thing I am change is my digital signal
going to passtive pre-amp diret input to this Conrad johnson MF-200.sound is very nice and musical.
In this price you are very differcult found some other amp can bettrt than this.

Submitted by toby kay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is really the best bargain in audio for less than a grand I think.

If you need solid state power You cannot do better than this unit for less than $800. She sings beautifully and Shes not a premier 11A or a levinson amp, BUT and this is a big BUT, I threw so many amps at her a number of years ago and she killed everything I could afford at the time.

In this price range you cant do better I really think this is the ultimate sub $800 no tube amp

Submitted by Hottuna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I originally had and exposure 17 pre & two 18 power amps in biamp configuration.I bought this power amp after getting fed up with my exposure 18 super power amps.
They were fast but I longed for some depth detail and space in my music without going into the slow but big sound.

I listened to the Conrad Johnson MF200 and decided it was for me. It has plenty of power for my Sonus Faber Minima Amator speakers has masses more depth detail and insight into the music. Treble is good detailed but not edgy and the mid-range is its best area truly excellent much better than my exposures. Bass is there when its in the music but its not Krell tight and deep, just fine for my small speakers.

PRaT fator is not to the Naim / Exposure level but still good much better than other big amps. This amp coupled with my exposure17 preamp is a fantastic match. It allows the pre-amp to show how good it really is no longer strangled by the Exposure power amps. Only with the Conrad Johnson MF200 can now see why Stereophile rated the Exposure17 preamp class B.

Try it you won't be sorry!

Purchased At:   London

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Trying to find reviews on slightly older CJ amps is next to impossible. It is time to change that. The MF200 is a huge amp weighing in at 59 lbs and has large external heat sinking at the rear. I can appreciate that because it enhances cooling as well as reliability. This is a fantastic power amp with unlimited power reserves (Try clipping this baby!) delivering a smooth warm sound for a S.S. amp. It throws a big sounstage as well. I personally prefer this amp over the McCormack Deluxe DNA-1. Like other highly sophisticated amps, the full potential of this product cannot be fully realized unless the associated equipment is of equal quality. I'm using this amp with a Audio Research LS1 preamp and the sound is spectacular! I highly recommend the MF200.

Purchased At:   Local HIFI Dealer

Submitted by John Vomacka a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use this amp in my bedroom, with c-j pf-1 preamp, proceed pdt-2 and pdp-2 digital, rega/sumiko turntable, chapman T-7 speakers, linked with Music Advancement Company interconnects and Marshall speaker wire. Used it previously in my listening room, with Audio Research LS-2 pre-amp, and Snell C IVs.
I listen to electronica, mainly house and trance, and find connie j gear works best to smooth out this processed music yet retrieve lots of detail. This amp is a good match with the Chapman speakers. Very articulate sound overall, not the ultimate of course, but imbued with a non-solid state warmth or glow, and strong control of the bass. Bass can be a bit wooly, but hey, you want better, you pay more. This amp is a true gem if you need power, and like to listen to electronica.

PANAMAX: