Carver Professional ZR1600 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1249.00

800W x 2 into 2 ohms, Class T digital amplifier, uses Tripath technology, plug-in modules can replace the standard input section.

Submitted by dustyf a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Carver ZR1600 is the best amp I found for my PA system. I use two of them. One for stereo PA mains and one bi-amped at 1600 watts for two 18" sub woofers. The power and tube sound can't be beat. I tried many other amps that failed or could not deliver the clean crisp warm full sound that these amps do. These amps are very quiet and look great.

Purchased At:   A-I Consolidated

Submitted by Big Gain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to place this amp in my system for the last 4 days. I was driving a pair of Magnepan MMGs, a 4 ohm speaker. Not very efficient. Upstream was an HK receiver used as a pre-amp, and a pioneer CD player.

First off, my piece had mods that I am unclear of. I used RCA inputs, and the gain knobs were bypassed. I disconnected the fan, which was quite loud(it is a PA amp). Even when pushed to VERY loud domestic sound levels with the Maggies, the amp got only warmish. A good mod for home applications for this amp would be to install a less noisy fan. It would run cool and probably last forever.

How does it sound? I thought the sound stage was huge. Detail and resolution were very good. Warm and competent. I would be curious to hear criticism from others who have evaluated this amp. The weaknesses I fould were not audible. Read the power and efficiency specs. for this amp. Class T (read D?) may become very interesting in the near future. I am considering this amp not for PA use but 2 channel home use. See below. A Home version from Carver with this configuration I think would be very popular.

Purchased At:   N/A

Carver Professional ZR1600

Carver Professional [url]http://www.carverpro.com/2003/[/url] Amplifier ZR1600 $1100 [url]http://www.carverpro.com/2003/products/zramps.html[/url]Read More »

MS 1400W: