Carver Audio TFM-6Cb Amplifiers

4.17/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $290.00

65 watts (1991-1992)

Submitted by Shana a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
While i was building up my dj system, I came across a bunch of free amplifiers, all were carvers. I picked up this little TFM-6CB and put in in place of a 1984 Gold start amplifier(which really is the definition of crap) and i hooked it up to both of my PA horns. lets just say, i can't even begin to explain how UNGODLY LOUD this amplifier is, with my two PA horns, it is unforgiving. and because of the 4 channel mode, i can mono bridge the 4 channels into 2 channels for 120 watts a channel. It runs better than most amps, Go to youtube and look for RAVE SYSTEM TEST 12 by bait 28 and you'll see this amp in action, with all of my other carvers.

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp together with a CT-6 pre-amp/tuner for 300 bucks. (I also use a Carver CD player, Nakamichi deck, and an old but very nice Hitachi turntable). So far I've been very pleased. I initially had some JBL N26's in my bedroom and then moved it to the living room with some Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers. I listen to everything from Saxon to Vivaldi and I've been fairly pleased. I plan to get one more and either bi-amp or bridge them and use one for each channel, whichever sounds best. I love this equipment so far.
I have no problem running out of headroom with this amp, but it's usally loud enough when the lights begin to flicker.

Purchased At:   small audio shop

Submitted by Dana G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I currently use two Carver TFM-6cb amps bridged mono through
an SAE 4000 crossover. These amps drive the low end of two
huge ESS amt6 speakers. So far I'm happy with the sound, but
I know it can get better. I use a Bryston 2B to power the high end. I don't think I would try to use the Carver's in
unbridged mode ( 65 x 2 ). Heard it is not to impressive.

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by Rich a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had two of these for around 5-6 years. I use one for the surrounds and bridge the other for the center. As Ben mentioned, one of my amps also is inactive in the left channel if it hasn't been used for a while. After it warms up or receives a large input signal it runs fine.

As to the sound quality the TFM 6cb is clean, open, and detailed without sounding harsh. Seems to have plenty of power - I have only been able to flicker the overload lights once when listening above reference level no audible effects were heard. Seperate right and left input level adjustments allow you to compensate for closer surround speakers.

If you can pick up one (or two) of these on the used market, it will make a great surround amp. Two complement a stereo amp nicely in a surround system.

Rich

Submitted by Ben a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had a M400a for 12 years that developed a "buzz" on one side. While trying to clean/fix it, I destroyed it. That was '94. At that time, Carver line had changed (duh!) and el cheapo amp was the TFM-6 (I think?). This amp has served light duty for 6 years with few problems. Main complaint is that left channel is "dead" for several seconds until a loud input sound gets it started. Stuck relay? Once warmed up, it generally works properly. Sound: I've had no complaints. I am not a golden ear. I miss my old Infinity RS-III's, may they rest in peace. Also have had Bose 501-II and most recently '89 vintage Radio Crack Minimus-7's. All have performed well. I miss my old M400a and might snap up one if I saw one used. Allegedly Bob Carver is going to rescue his namesake (they went Chap. 11 in '99), the current lineup at Sunfire is a bit too pricey for my budget. How about it Bob?

PANAMAX: