Carver Audio M500t Amplifiers

4.48/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $630.00

251 watts per channel 700 watts mono

Submitted by matt greenman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Okay... doubt anyone will read this, as I just happened onto this site by mistake. Regarding the Carver M 500 T; I found the range and humor of the reviews entertaining. There is such a rich audio history following Bob Carver; on the one hand superaudio hero to the parriah of the industry. Google the interesting carreer overview awhile back in Stereophile. I've owned a pair of m 500T's for twenty years, running them mono into JBL l200's and they are well worth their price. They do warm up but never becomming unstable. I was told that in mono they are actually Class A up to 35 watts, but that's what an engineer at Carver once told me. I've heard some amazing systems and these amps a fast, dynamic, and accurate. The "T" mode refers to the transfer of function Carver was attempting to duplicate with a Mark Levinson amp, back in the days when ML owned the company. Supposedly there is a huge difference between T and the M 500, but I never heard the M 500. The M500 T also has an on-off switch which is very handy. Here is the kicker. I recently acquired a Music Reference M% MK III and Oh My God. The single output tube in the line stage amounts to sound I never heard using the Carver C2 preamp. From top to bottom, the sound is beyond radically better, and that's what a Stereophile Class B rating and $1500 in 1992 dollars will score you. Bottom line... the M 500 T is an amazing amp and my friends thought it would have blown up long ago. Cheers!

Submitted by scchevelle454 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
This 500t worked great until it overheated some years ago and shorted out. I sent it back to Carver in Lynwood ,Washington, in the original box with the correct packaging to be repaired, It was and it was returned to me. When it heats up, it still continues to cut out. Now, and I mean just a few minutes ago, even with a pancake fan cooling the boards, it just shorted out again..The burned spots in the circut boards were jumped across to bypass the burns in them instead of being replaced.. Now I fear the amp is toast....I also have the C-1 Preamp.The first pair of speakers I purchased with the system , I blew up in the first 20 minutes of use.. Now I have a old set of Polks...

Submitted by nko1a a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I found a Carver M500T coupled with a Carver C1 preamp for sale locally on craigslist for $350. After reading reviews here and on other sites I had to check it out. I brought my trusty old Kenwood KA-9100 Integrated Amplifier along for comparison purposes. (Note: The Kenwood is rated at 95W RMS x2 and was purchased for $160). The speakers used for this comparison were JBL L100T's. I used the Carver M500T to drive the JBL's for my first listening. It sounded really good. Nice sound stage, more than ample power etc. Then I connected my Kenwood and listened to the same track. Compared to the Carver, the Kenwood sounded much more clean and clear. The highs sparkled in a way that would make any audio enthusiast smile. I'm currently looking for a pair of JBL L100T's for my own listening. In Carver's defense, the M500T did make the music sound more warm and analog, but like some reviewers pointed out it didn't sound pure and lacked punch in the high end. In conclusion, I liked the Carver, but it couldn't keep up with an older, cheaper integrated amplifier with 2.5x less power.

Submitted by Horacio Gonzalez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I must admit I misstreat my system ,M-500t and C-1 but still works great!!!
Best sound ever its pushing my custom build pair of Pionner 10s, pair fo Lanzar 12s and pair of JBL 12s IM telling you its a beauty, hands down just the BEST!!!!!!
I bought this lovely system at a garage sale in MEXICO and thats in PESOSabout $15.00 Dls.

Purchased At:   Garage sale in MEXIC

Submitted by HunterAudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
After hearing plenty of raves, I finally decided to pick up my own Carver M-500t and check it out firsthand. I'm well aware of Bob Carver's genious, and his abilities do come shining through on the M-500t. Tube-like indeed, and this is from a guy who has owned excellent (actual) tube amps for comparison. I'm currently using the Carver to power my ADS L2030 speakers, and the listening has been pure enjoyment! (Even through a mid-level pre). After the countless hours I've already put into "auditioning", I continue to hear delicate sounds that had previously gone un-noticed in my CD's. The cool-operating, cool-sounding M-550t has found a good home here, and has made me realize it's been engineered as a great bang-for the-buck amp. Anytime you're lucky enough to buy one under 500 bucks used, do it. You won't be disappointed. Especially if your tastes run close to "tube" sound.

Purchased At:   eBbay

Carver M500t amp and Adcom pre-amp, good idea?

I just picked up some nice Polk R50's for fairly cheap off of Outpost.com, and I am now looking to upgrade my cheap Pioneer SX-255R to something a bit nicer. After looking around on this site a bit, and on Ebay, I am thinking about purchasing a used Carver M500t power amp, and an Adcom GTP500 pream ... Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: