Carver Audio M-400a Amplifiers

3.95/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

200 watts per channel switching power amp

Submitted by mactoad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Bottom Line:
1st. I love all of the blowhards that immediately call this amp junk. They are Morons.
When the amp first came out, a friend bought four of them and ran them into four Ohm F speakers, driven by a Bose 4 channel preamp. Various sources included reel to reel, cassette, vinyl, etc. With those cube operating as 500W+ mono amps into the power hungry, but phase coherent & great fidelity, Ohm F's it was an awesome four channel system. I have always wanted one and picked about 3 years ago. I pump it into generic three way speakers with 15" woofer, 6 inch midrange and dome tweeters. Sounds GREAT. Also, works great for outside parties into PA monitors (We have a lot of property) at fairly high volumes. The little cube performs GREAT. Carver (as an engineer & physicist) is way ahead of most of his peers in the audio design world. His famous 'duplicate the sound of any amp' wager sure left those audio snobs with egg on their faces (or perhaps in their ears!)

Submitted by Golden Ears a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
Cheap junk, Bob Caver is only good for best bang for the buck. Its hard to believe any of products still work. Carver amps will fry your highend speakers just before the caver amp dies. The the best bang for the buck amps turn out to be very costly in the end... If your still using a caver designed amp you should replace it, before it fries your speakers, Don't push your luck!!!!

Submitted by R Michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have to say something here. In 1988 I had a pair of Carver M400s running in mono configuration with Phase Linear Andromedra III speakers (6 ohms, which equates to > 500 watts per channel), McIntosh M33 Preamp, Luxman L-100 power amp (rear speakers), Avent Soundspace Control (digital delay), B&O 4002 Quadradic turntable, and some other less important stuff (except the SAE Impulse noise reduction system). This system was so amazingly clear and clean it would make you float. It was not boomy and obnoxious like most of the systems I have heard in later years. It was simply amazing because you could listen to music at a level that some would say could be harmful and not realize it until you tried to talk to someone. Your mouth moved but you could not hear anything anyone was saying. This is when I realized how incredible this system was. Unfortunately, I had to sell most of it because the place where I worked closed and I needed the money. I still have the Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers and the B&O 4002 turntable. It seems that anything that comes close to what I had then is now unaffordable, but I guess that's the way it goes. I just wanted to say that I once was able to have an audio system that most people that I know now could never comprehend. My curse is that I cannot share it because it now exists only in my mind.

Submitted by jhaan92 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my original m-400 cube off ebay a little more than a year ago, but I remember when my parents had the cube with the "t" mod. A fantastic little piece of equipment, it is always nice to see the dumb look on people's faces when you tell them that is the power amplifier, and it does 200 watts RMS. Most don't believe me, but they soon come around.

While I need to get mine rebuilt, I have heard other standard m-400 cubes, and they are a great amplifier, and do very little to color the sound. I believe that they easily exceed the rated specifications from Carver, and with such a compact size, and weigh very little (only 10 lbs), what is not to love? They don't require any real ventilation, have no noisy fans, and can handle very demanding power loads.

Drawbacks:

Spring loaded speaker terminals-should have used binding posts

Parts, like the Magnetic Field Coil-are extremely hard to come by.

Strengths:

Very compact

Weigh very little

Pack a serious power punch

Impressed Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review

Need I say more? They also make great mono amplifiers for subwoofer applications.

Submitted by automaticmojo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
To add to my earlier 2 reviews, I recently sent my M400t, to Hi-Tech Audio (www.carveraudiorepair.com) to have all the capacitors replaced, along with the triac, check for cold solder joints, and calibrated as well. I wasn't having any major probelms, but wanted to avoid then in the future. Not cheap, at $289 w/shipping-but well worth it. It takes about 20+ more hours for the amp to break in, they run it at full power for 24 hours before shipping
After this break in I can't believe how much this amp has opened up!! WOW is all I can say. The clarity in the midrange and highs is now truely astounding. The low end response was always good, but it is now truely amazing!! Even my wife, who is not by any means an audiophile asked what I had done to my stereo. She thought I had done something to the speakers. The bass control had to go down a notch!
Perhaps many of the earlier negative reviews had to do with a M-400 either not adjusted right, or some sort of componet failing, or failure. On my M400t, they did notice some slight leakage on one cap (channel, or supply, I can't remeber).

A friend recently brought over a recapped, and broken in Onkyo Integra M-504 to compare, and he was astounded. While the Onkyo had similiar mids and highs, the M-400 had a much cleaner and tighter bass response. He is now currently looking on Ebay for a M-400t to refurb/rebuild for his office system.
Hopefully, this may shed some more light on this small, but wonderful amp.

If you have a M400t (or otherwise) and really want to see what it can do, give HI-Tech Audio a try.!!

Purchased At:   Ebay