Carver Audio M-1.0t Amplifiers

4.1/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $630.00

200 watts (1986-1990)

Submitted by onedestiny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
Two things to address re: buzz at low volumes and thump at turn on/off. For me the buzz was solved by reversing the amp plug in the wall. That's right. If you talk to the people the predominantly work on Carver amps, it is in the intrinsic design of the amp that the polarity issue when plugging it into an outlet determines whether there is buzz or not. Try it, I think you'll be pleased. I'm running mine into Carver's Platinums for the bass and a pair of Silver 9t's for the ribbons thru a Carver CT-29v with a Carver 390t CD player. Total cost $4000 via ebay over the years which included upgrades to the Platinum ribbons and crossovers. Secondly, the thump is easy to remove if you turn off the amp first and on first as mentioned before. A second trick is to re-direct the pre-amp to a set of speakers that aren't there since there is addl spkr outlets for remote rooms. Thirdly you can stick a headphone plug adapter in the socket before shutting down the amp.

Submitted by patriot1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
This review is for Carver M1.5t.This is an outstanding sounding amp! Not grainy at al l,plenty of low end punch,midrange is superb! In fact its great through the whole spectrum.I run mine,at times, a little on the load side and it never gets hot.These amps deserve recognition .I have used the Krell KSA150,McIntosh 2205 and 240,B&K's,Rogue and I honestly have to say the M1.5t is as good ,if not better than any of those.I never fatique listening to it.The "T" in the model is for "T"ube sound.Very well done Bob Carver.

Submitted by jasonh313 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this amp. It has an abundance of power and I agree that any lack of bass that people experience is not the fault of the amplifier. The real reason I wanted to write this review is to alert users of how to avoid that annoying thump when powering off. Here's how: When turning on/off the amp do this process very slowly, in other words do not just flip the switch. This works every time! Enjoy.

Submitted by Chuck Staples a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've owned this amp since 1990, bought used when traded in for the 375/ch version (with headroom that exhausted at the same level as the M10.t...).

First - any lack of bass is not the amp's fault. Second, unless your amp has some age-related defects, something that sounds like the Conrad Johnson it was ABX tested against can't sound that horrible. Unless of course you're mad you spent so much on the Conrad Johnson by comparison.

This isn't best amp on the planet, but I've been amazed continually with speakers ranging from 88dB to 92dB. I love the tube-like sound. My current LSi15s sound wonderful (sorry, my budget priorities don't allow for a 5-digit audio budget). They get plenty of power and sound wonderful in my home. I use this amp in stereo and bypass the amp in my Denon 4308.

I do not recommend buying this amp if you're worried about what the audio-snobs might say.

I highly recommend buying this amp if you enjoy the quality of your music and willing to suffer the "indignity" of not devoting all of your discretionary money audio gear.

Purchased At:   State St. Sound, Por

Submitted by zuul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
Prior to purchasing the M-1.0t i was using a M.5t which I thought was a marked improvement from the Pioneer SX-1050 I had been using for the 5 years prior. Switching to the M-1.0t was a world changer. To me, it's what an amp should be, gobs of power, good blend of lows, mid and highs. It never gets hot. I've not had the upgrades to get rid of the thump but as I'm in Oregon it probably will be on my list of things to do but not until I get a second one and run them as mono blocks.

My main source is vinyl and it was with that in mind that I sought out the Carver as it was initially designed by Mr. Carver to reproduce the sound of quite expensive designer tube mono blocks.

After reading all 46 reviews prior to my typing of this I would have to agree that $ for $ there probably isn't a better amp for the money especially if you're powering a mid priced separates system.

I will say that I believe another important component in the sound is the NAD 1240 pre-amp i am using in concert with the Carver. I've had a few other pre-amps hooked up to it but the NAD really makes it come alive. I recently purchased a NAD 4155 tuner and I've never heard the radio sound so good.

I've been using the same speakers for all three amps I've had over the past 5 years and I am basing this review on the fact that the Carver really made the speakers come alive whereas the other amps were fair to average. I have had the good fortune of being able to listen to top of line ridiculously overpriced systems and while I know the sound I am producing is nowhere near the level of multi-thousand dollar systems, for less than $500 I have a system that top of it's class and knocking at the door of systems far more expensive and esoteric.

Do your homework and if you can always bring your music with you to listen prior to purchase, read these reviews and others like it. I'm sure in the end if you purchase the Carver you'll be satisfied. If not, they don't loose their value, so you wouldn't have to be concerned about not being able to resale it.

Good luck. Hope this was helpful.

Purchased At:   audio specialties -