Carver Audio AV-405 Amplifiers

3.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $849.00

5-Channel Home Theatre Amp - 100W Left/Right, 110W Center, 50W Rear

Submitted by ntgeek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had ground isolation hum come from HK so its not just Carver that can succumb to such things. In the case of the HK, the service manual suggested a design flaw and had you replace a bad cap with a higher capacity one. 99 cents to parts express and I was golden.

I added the carver to my setup and was very delighted by the quality of the sound reproduction. Some low priced amps can distort at higher volumes. The Carver so far does not run into this problem. It does need to warm up for it to produce the best sound, I just leave it on. For the $200 pricepoint I think I did okay. I also noticed that if I do need work done there are still some places that can repair it.

Anyhow, great sound, plenty of power for home use. 5 stars. you can't go wrong with this one.

Submitted by Pharsyd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great little product from Carver's earlier line. Have used this little gem with high end pre/pro's like meridian and EAD just to see the differences between higher end amps like EAD, ATI, Bryston etc... and i tell you, although there are definite differences, for the price of the 405, compared to the higher end stuff, the money difference compared to the performance difference is quite huge. This will drive speakers well, and don't even try to compare it to recvrs..... as the clarity is much different. I have not encountered the grounding problems others have mentioned, but i have dedicated lines with porter ports and thats it, but nice clean sound. I have compared to HK, and me personally is the other way around from previous posts, i find it quite strong against others in its small price range. Its a great stater piece while waiting to move up in the ranks. I have been using this amp for about 4 years now in my masterbedroom and it is still a great sounding piece.

Submitted by Canuxican a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
This little amp is fine for the 1st step up from mass produced AVRs. It isn't the best effort Bob Carver ever came up with, not by a long shot, but then, I doubt that was the intent. If you are looking for something with greater clarity and depth than a stock AVR this is for you. If you really want to improve the dynamics of your home theater move up the the Sunfire or Bryston multi-channel line. Of course the price is substantially increased as well. The next best option would be multiple amps for each function (my preference) money and space providing.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Thaluza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned several amplifiers, receivers and integrated amps, including the Carver AV-405, Harman Kardon PA-5800, Marantz MM-9000, NAD 7100 and Musical Fidelity A-300. The Carver AV-405 is definitely the worst sounding component in this group. The HK is similar in price but sounds w-a-a-a-y better. The Carver has inadequate noise filtration. I had to buy a line filter to reduce the very annoying hum produced by the Carver. The HK does not require a noise filter when plugged into the same outlet that the Carver uses. Moreover, the HK is much smoother sounding and less fatiguing. The Carver does play loud, but it is not very listenable in my opinion. It is very harsh sounding. One more thing: Carver was in bankruptcy in the late 1990's (I'm not sure what the company's status is currently). With Carver in bankruptcy, service and parts for repairs are hard to find. I ended up giving the Carver away to Goodwill. If you are looking to spend under $300 for a five channel amp, seriously consider the HK PA-5800 over the Carver AV-405. You might also want to consider the NAD 906/916 or a Rotel amp. Stay away from Carver, IMO.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Phil Engel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This has been a great amp, but I am ready for something new - I have been waiting for something to happen to this
amp, so I could justify buying a new one, but I think this thing will be around longer than me.

Purchased At:   computability