B&K Components ST1400 Series II Amplifiers

4.73/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Submitted by Kingpin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
What a nice surprise this amplifier is ! I had never had the chance to listen to B&K products so I bought it by good reviews I'd read only and - WOW ! - connected to PMC Twenty 24 speakers, HEED preamp and REGA Apollo CD player, this amp is fantastic ! Tight bass, great soundstage, coherent sound over all, I was very impressed and, for the price, it is a steal !!! The sound is different from my usual McIntosh MC2100 but no less pleasant, which, to me, says a lot.

Submitted by mitch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
Just picked up a used st-1400 II. Traded my Adcom gfa555II to get it. What a good decision I made. Bass is much more pronounced and tight. The B&K is a much more musical Amp than the Adcom. I can hear where each instrument is. It makes my Infinity Kappa's sing.
So happy I made the decision. Great Amp!

Submitted by nomar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Got this amp (second hand) from my tech. friend with AVP3000 pre-amp combo,both model 1996. I didn't take a second thought to take the units thou i knew they are several years model. It's a rare opportunity to meet this brand (new or even second hand) in my place. The dealer have already stopped selling this product few years backed 'coz of the Japanese names are dominating the market. This is my first separate amp.to power up my Paradigm Refence Studio 60v2 front channels (bi-wired with Cat-5e TNT-TTS configuration) and ease up the load of my Denon AVR-2802 for multi-channel reproductions. I could not compare with other amps 'coz I did'nt have the opportunity to test A/B between other amps and the best reviewed names are not available for compararison. All i can say is the overall improvement it made to my system. It rounded up the bass line, more detailed midrange, improved imaging, wider soundstage and crisper treble. I could not test its limit coz, my place is not favorable to do it or cops might be knocking on my door in few minutes. It is even smoother when my AVP3000 pre-amp is connected via XLR connections. It's a real music when i play my reference discs of different music genre, SADE's and EAGLE's DVD using my AVR-2802 for DD decoding. My only caveat is the balanced and unbalanced switch is shorted, I still hear sound when balanced or RCA cable is connected but the switch is off or vice-versa, so it means there is signal leakage in the switch.

Associated Equipments:
Denon Avr2802 (A/V-Pre/pro/Amp) - 90W X 6
B&K AVP3000 (Music Preamp)
B&K ST-1400 (Power Amp) - 125w X 2
R&D VP300X (Power Amp) - 100w X 2 (bridgable)
Technics ---- (Tuner)
Panasonic RV32S (DVD/CD/MP3 player)
Pioneer CTW503R (TapeDeck) refurbished
JVC Hifi VCR
JVC Interiart TV
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2 (Front)
Bose 301 - II (Surround) - cone edge replaced
JVC "mini sp" (Surround Back-Atom 1st choice)
Optimus (Center-soon 2b replaced w/ cc-170)
Monster Cable & Homegrown interconnects
Cat-5e Homegrown Bi-wire speaker cables
Accoustic Research & Proel SP Connectors
Tripplite Power Adapter/Line Conditioner
Stavol Power Stabilizer

Purchased At:   individual

Submitted by kyle c a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a B&K ST2140 & a B&K PT lll pre amp/tuner. I've had no problems with either. The amplifier drives my Klipsch 45G'S with ease. The amp is both powerfull and clean. I am more than happy considering the price. I spent a good deal of time listening to Amplifiers that cost three times as much that didn;t sound any better. If you like good clean power at a great price give the B&K a listen.

Purchased At:   Tweeters

Submitted by 89vett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the ST 2140 amplifier with the silver face.I bought this unit
brand new from a fellow on audiogon.It
is very well built,has solid connectors,etc.The sound is excellant.
Plenty of low end power,excellant highs and lows.It really made my voice of the
theatre speakers sound great.It will make
a good CD sound great,and you will notice
if a CD is recorded poorly.But that is
what you should expect from a quality
amplifier.It has excellant detail and clarity.And at 140 wpc it has more than
enough power to drive any speaker.
I currently have a very old pioneer CD
player hooked up to this amp and it still
sounds wonderful.I can't wait until my
new AMC CD8b arrives.I am sure it will
make the amp sound better.
My system:
Audio Research SP6b pre-amp.
Mirage frx-s8 sub.
Altec Lansing Voice of the theatre speakers.
B&K ST 2140 amp
AMC CD8b Cd player soon to arrive.

Purchased At:   individual