B&K Components Reference 4420 Amplifiers

4.92/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

225w x 2 Channels Into 8 Ohms - 2 Line Level Inputs - Class AB Mosfet

Submitted by Martin Cardenal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Probably one of the sweetest sounding amps i've ever owned. I have owned Adcon (to much detail and a bit harsh, made listening a bit to analitical) Rotel ( nice all arounder and affordable, just behind B&K in my book) Onkyo ( Not sweet or detailed inough but O.K, it is the least expensive.). I fell in love with B&K becouse it finally let me just enjoy listening, it never wares me out like my old adcom. I was always a very analitical listener, never just sitting down and listening to the music.

Purchased At:   SoundAdvice Florida

Submitted by Vladimir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amp has a wonderful sound, no matter what type of music I play. Plenty of power to bring any recording to life. Smooth pleasant sound, recreates the soundstage wonderfully. Bass is tight and controlled, the highs are not harsh, mids are great.

Very solid build, not a pleasant looking fellow, but that is not what I bought it for.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Rob S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Ref 4420 is an excellent sounding amp . I matched it with B&W DM603. The imaging is 3D and very large.I have this amp with the Ref 4430 and I must say they do not seem to be alike. The Ref 4430 is more detailed and less bottom heavy as to the Ref4420.Overall I think the pair is quiet smooth and dark to sum it all.
Assocated equipment:
Act 3
Ref 4430/4420
B&W 603/601/CC6
Synergistic ac coupler
Audioquest corals

Submitted by brian a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
this is an outstanding amp. im using it to bi-amp my klipsch klf-30s and i can say for the price of this amp you wont find one better than this. the highs are not harsh like many other amps and the bass is tight and deep .i just sent out my amps to b&k for the level control upgrade and the customer suport is GREAT to deal with. i wish i could say that about alot of ohters but i cant. this amp is a must listen too if your in the market to buy one.

Purchased At:   soundadvice

Submitted by BOB BRINGE a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for some outboard amplification to add to the pre outs of my Denon 3300. I have found it in the B and K ref 4420 . Granted, it is a 2 channel amp, but it is so musical that I will worry about the other 3 channels later on. Incidently, the 3300 makes a wonderful pre amp processor and according to many "experts " one would have to spend 5K to get noticably better processing. The thing I like most about the 4420 is that it has made such a tremendous improvement in my 2 channel sound, which is about 60%, as well as improving my home theater sound. It has allowed my 3300 to work much more effortlessly and become more dymanic in the process.My monitor audio silver 5i fronts sound so much smoother, mosfets in the output stage definitely make a big difference. Overall, the 735 I paid is the single biggest improvement I have made in my system.

Purchased At:   HI FI BUYS