B&K Components Reference 220M Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1298.00

250 W mono amp

Submitted by Anthony Towsley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these slightly used in Silver with the option level inputs from a friend in the A/V business. He was very sad to see these go, but he got into some debt etc.

These were a godsend when matched to my Klipsch CF-3s (100db efficient). These speakers are so efficient that during quiet scenes or passages a distinct hiss could be heard using my old Marantz MA700 Amps. It was especially noticeable on the Bladerunner DVD. That DVD is very quiet and you know what I'm talking about if you own it. Switching to the B&K nearly eliminated the Hiss and tweaking the level controls on the 220Ms eliminated it completely! I was planning on going to less efficient speakers to eliminate that annoying Klipsch Hiss. I found out it was the amps I was using rather than the speakers. They are much cleaner sounding than the Marantz and sound wonderful on SACD/DVDA. Warm and that is a good match to tone down the brightness of the Klipsch horn. Very nice combo and I'm definitely keeping these Klipsch monsters now thanks to these B&Ks. I've recently purchased a B&K REF 200.3 to replace the MA700s running the C/SR/SL speakers. The current 200.1 is basically the 220M renamed from what I see on the specs sheet. I'll probably pick up a 200.1 in the future to go mono across my front 3 speakers. Too bad they don't have the level control as an option. I'm very impressed with the improvement in sound vs my previous MA700s. I highly recommend them for music/home theater. I know there are better amps out there, but for my needs/experience they are awesome amps. Give the 220M/200.1 a listen if you can!

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by Jason William Crumlett a

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought three of the 220M's to run my front three and the Reference 2220 for the rear two. More clean power than anyone really needs. They really made a diference in my setup. Playing the same music before/after the installation of these amps was a real eye-opener. Much cleaner than any integrated amp I've ever heard.

Sennheiser: