B&K Components EX-4420 Amplifiers

4.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

Stereo version of the EX 4420M monoblock amplifier

Submitted by RO106666 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
First of all the amp I am reviewing was upgraded by Solar Winds Audio (strongly recommend!!!). I have always owned Classe Amps and consider this a VERY nice amp for the price. Soundstage is good , has tube like sound and is very warm and powerfull. I am using it with my Magnepan1.6 speakers,ARC LS2B MKII pre-amp and C.A.L. Icon II CD and CAL Alpha 24/96 DAC. It drives my Maggies with very little effort . Strongly Recommend it and Solar Winds Audio!!!

Purchased At:   Solar Winds Audio

Submitted by B*rad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well worth the price I paid. Makes my Martin Logans sing!!! This amp has a very warm sound and listener fatigue is a thing of the past. A smile comes to my face everytime I play music. Soundstage Soundstage Soundstage!!! I have worked at Ovation a/v high end audio and sampled every thing Krell has to offer and at that price it seems that the B&K Ref line of equipment is a STEAL!!!

System

Monster m2.2

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Franchise36 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp is just perfect for driving my B&W CDM 1 NT speakers to both room shaking but clear levels. For the pricee that I paid I am VERY satisfied.

Submitted by Doug a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is the best all-around amp I've ever owned. It's driving my "vintage" Thiel CS3.0's, which were voiced back in analog days and ruthlessly reveal any glare or or garbage from the electronics. The bass is very solid (maybe tending toward warmth a bit), it can drive demanding speaker loads to very high levels with no strain and is basically totally free of coloration. If you read between the lies in the great bulk of the reviews of electronics at this website, you find people endlessly nattering over which crappy little form of exaggerated frequency response sounds most breathtaking. Get over it! If you want an actual amplifier that plays music with no sound of it's own, never runs out of steam in loud complex or demanding passages and doesn't demand you maortgage ypur house, this is it. It CLEARLY of holds it's own against units costing 5X it's price.

Submitted by Vincent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is just what I needed in my price range. I always wanted an Apogee full ribbon speaker, and when I saw a bargain, I bought one. Now, how to power the notorious amp eater. After reading B&K 4420 specs, and seeing the reviews here, I decided it might be a good match.

Reviewers claim it sounds tube like, well I wouldn't know, but it sure sounds a lot better than the Denon did, and Apogees are suppose to be a good match with tube amps so maybe they do sound tube like. One thing is for sure, this amp has no problem controlling the three ohm Apogee.

Listening to the quartet Kronos wailing with all instruments at full tilt takes a lot of amp power plus finesse and the B&K sailed through it effortlessly, where the Denon gasped in hopeless disaray. This is a great bargain amp. If it had any sonic flaws, the Apogee would have waved a red flag, as the Apogee can tell no lie. You'de have to pay a lot more for any noticeable improvement over the B&K 4420, and I'd like to know what that improvement might be.

Purchased At:   Ebay