B&K Components AV5125 Amplifiers

3.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1298.00

5 channels, 125 W x 5

Submitted by scud a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well, Clearly the B&K isn't exactly "audiophile grade" but it did the trick until I upgraded to the Halo A51... Before I begin on a sour note, I want to say for the money, this is a great amp- and in my opinion, one of the truest sounding solid-state multi-channels in this price range.

The B&K has decent power- 125x5 is more than ample to power your home theatre. My biggest complaint is how it sounds on 2 channel operation, as on my budget, as much as I'd love a dedicated set of JC1 mono-blocks, or a conrad C140 to do my 2 channel duties, it just doesn't make sense monetarily right now...

I use Alon Lotus Elites up front- gorgeous speakers- and I think they BLOW AWAY anything else in the price range- in fact, they blow away the Revel F-50's by ALOT.. but that's another review. The B&K does a very nice job at keeping response flat and true. I would clearly call it reference quality- however it is the low end that isn't quite as authoritative, and overall, I wish the amp would have been more assertive across the entire frequency spectrum. I like the amp- for home theatre, I think you'd be very pleased with the product - the power is clean, clear and it sounds very crisp- however in terms of warmth and openness, well, all I can say is it is simply very solid-state- no where near as warm as a tube amp and honestly, there are much better solid state pieces to be had out there- however it is the budget-mindedness that makes this amp very very good in this price range. Compared to the Halo A52, (the Halo 125x5) I would say the Halo IS better- it sounds a bit richer and has more of the stuff I wished for above- however it is marginal... Marginal to the point where I wouldn't be quite so quick to pay close to 2 grand for the little Halo when I could have a B&K for 1200 or less... which is why I chose the B&K in the first place. I used it for about a year and a half- until I finally decided to give the A51 (the big Halo, 5x200) a try at home.

Bottom line: The halo destroyed the B&K- it is richer, WAY more open and alot more transiently asertive- it is closer to "tube" sounding. Of course, the A51 is no JC1 monoblock - and it is not even remotely a Conrad C140 (one of my favorite tube 2 channels of all time) however the Halo doesn't fall into the "solid-state-trap" like the B&k- it does alot more.

I'm trying to be as honest and objective as I can on this one. Again, the B&K is a great amp - it blows away a receiver- I used to use a Denon 3801 which I really liked alot- Then I obtained the B&K and used the Denon as a pre-amp only.. Next step is I switched to the Halo C2- this DEFINITELY made the B&K come to life and sound the best I heard it sound- and I liked it- but still I wanted to more. Finally when I put the A51 with the C2, the system really sounds fantastic- althuogh I gotta watch out for my center and surrounds (paradigm refernces) because honestly, the A51 could easily blow them up...

All in all, from an objectivity standpoint, I don't think you can ask for much more from the B&K with an entrance fee of under 1200 bucks... It's a very solid piece- but it is also very solid-state!!!

If you were willing to spend up to 2 grand, I would most likely NOT buy the little Halo A52 - I would still take the B&K and spend the left-over money on decent interconnects and speaker wire- you'll get more bang for your buck. However when you push you r budget a bit upwards- and decide you want solid-state, but you really want GOOD solid-state, the A51 blows the B&K clear out of the water... It also does so to a tune of about 3700 dollars... so the bottom line:

From a utility/bang-for-your-buck standpoint, the B&K gets 4 stars- it sounds true, reference-flat, and pretty damned nice- again, way more than any receiver's power will get you.

From an audiophile standpoint.. well, again, this is NOT an audiophile quality amp- it is a damned good cheap solution- and from an audiophile standpoint I give it about 2 1/2 stars (maybe a touch higher). When you listen to the A51, A52 and 5125 B&K side by side, you'll see why.

Overall- 3 stars and a definite recomendation! If you're upgrading from a receiver like an integra, marantz or denon- something of quality, the B&K is a very good logical step in the right direction - it does it all and does it pretty well. But like anything else, there's much more out there- the Halo is the BEST thing in that price range- and if you want to upgrade and go much furhter, I still take the A51... hope this was helpful.

Purchased At:   AudioBreakthru

Submitted by George a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
After a somewhat short burin it was breathtaking. For the money you can't touch it. Go and give it an honest listen and you will be convinced. I was looking at a Krill 5 channel amp and side-by-side comparison it was close, for the extra $4000 that the Krill cost there was very little improvement in sound.

Purchased At:   Laser Land Home Theater