B&K Components AV 5000 Amplifiers

4.39/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

105w x 3 channels

Submitted by Ronald Teemley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
The back panel design is the worst I have seen on any amp. or receiver.
It is virtually impossible to connect speaker wire without using banana plugs.

Submitted by Dean Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
IMO this amp performs fine I have a B&K ST-140 also and think that in 2 channel the 140 is slightly better than the 5000.For movies the AV-5000 is at it's best.On music the soundstage isn't as good as my 140 and the bass isn't as well controlled.

Submitted by Mark Damon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Owned a 7250, and loved it. Compared it to the AV5000 II, and basically found it to sound the same in mid and upper frequencies. The 7250 had more low end dynamics, but since I use a Velodyne powered sub, I couldn't justify paying twice the price for the 7250. In a nut shell the 5000 II coupled with a good sub is as good as a 7250. The actual power rating difference between them is only 2db (125W Vs. 200W). My infinities are quite sensitive (90 db) so the 125 watts is sufficient to drive em up the ceiling.

The one thing I like the most about this amp is the warmth. I have listened to a multitude of amps. Adcom, Rotel, ATI, Parasound, and they are all too bright for my tastes. This amp is just 'sweet' in one word. Doesnt cause any listener fatigue. The other thing about this is the soundstage it puts out. Its alomst like a live performance in stereo, and in movies I get the feeling that I am siting in a large theater, and the sound is coming from way beyond the speakers. It always amazes me to excstacy. A definite 5 stars for build and performance.

Submitted by GJ GAAL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
No problems whatsoever. No hum at all. Great detail. I am considering trading up to the new Reference 7250 based on my history with this amp. I want even more clean power for a much bigger room. (I am running M&K S125's for the front speaker array, M&K S85's for surrounds and an M&K 125MKII sub through a Lexicon processor.) B&K tech support is immediate and knowledgeable. I have a feeling of complete satisfaction with the sound, build quality and company support this product represents.

I believe in taking the time to match components that will work well together to achieve the sound you like. I also believe strongly in a point of rapidly diminishing returns when investing in audio gear. For me, this is that point. Incredible sound for my $$$.

Best wishes in finding yours.

Purchased At:   Genesis Audio, Inc.

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have listened extensively to numerous power amps. The value of B & K is unsurpassed. The service department has been extremely helpful when I called , even discussing other brands to use with the the B & Ks.
I use a more powerful (200 x 3) B & K TX4430 for the front 3 channels, the AV 5000 for the 2 side and 2 rear channels, and a ST1400 for the rest of the house. My subwoofer is a Velodyne F1800 (600W). By buying the B & Ks, I was able to afford a Lexicon DC-1 processor.
In over two years, the only service required of any of the B & Ks was replacing a fuse on the TX4430.
Note, the description above is incorrect, the AV5000 is a FIVE Channel x 105W amp, not three.

Purchased At:   Sound City