AudioSource Amp Two Amplifiers

4.57/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

80 watts per channel (8 ohms) 200 watts monobridged AB speaker switching Auto-On signal sensing circuit Dual analog VU meters Left and right channel level controls Toroidal power supply

Submitted by Norm Cole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
I never appreciated the sound quality fro this amp until I replaced it with powered speakers. I bought it 3+ years ago off ebay for $250 + shipping. I've been using it since to power my JBL 4408 studio monitors. Sounded great, and have received countless compliments about the sound in my little studio. In todays world it's more typical to use powered monitors in this application. So I recently bought so KRK 8" powered monitors and took amp two and JBLs out of service. The KRKs also sound great but no better. I only stumbled on this site by researching to get some data for listing my amp two in ebay. Glad I found it. Good info. I only guessed year 2000, I purchased used and haven't a clue of actual age, maybe newer.

Submitted by ratbbb2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
Haven been a audio salesman in the late eighties/early ninties I came across a few things that were well worth there cost. This my freinds is one of them. At a discount price of 299 to 329 it bettered many amps from the likes of Kenwood ,JVC Sony and even one of the leaders in Mid Fi Onkyo. While most if not all of the above mentioned makers make a better amp than this, none is near this price.
I Have upgraded though the years and now have all tube gear costing much more but retain my trusted Audiosourse amp 2 for use in my computer room.
The capabilities of this amp are endless.
To get the most I would look into a vintage (or DYI) tube pre amp or tube buffer between the source and power amp.
I am currantly running it direct from my soundcard out to a pair of JBL Control 5 (PRO VIII) speakers with decent results.
I would rather you try some better speakers as these are not as dynamic as , say a B+W or Quad . Yes it's that Good .
Try it with tubes and decent speakers and invite some audio nut freind over to listen, I'm sure they'll be surprised.
The only down side is the meters were not as dependible as the rest of the components inside.
If your looking into wireing your home for sound, you can use them in a daisy chain configuration as they have line out and thus can be wired in paralell allowing you to set the appropiate volume to each room.
If your looking to sell yours feel free to contact me. I would love to get a couple more for that use.
Roger

Submitted by sokato a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Well worth the money. I've had this amp for over a year and it has performed flawlessly. I have it in the living room in a simple 2-channel audio setup (no TV in the room). Clean, pure music. Sure you can spend more, but you'd have to spend close to a $1000 to get a better amp.

Submitted by janekfr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful amp for the money: an oustanding value, period. With good speakers and a music source (I use AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player and Polk Audio RT600i speakers), this amp will perform very well, though, of course, it can be bettered, for more money (but only if it is carefully - and lavishly - spent). Staging is good, distortion negligible, transparency very good. In value, this is surely a 5 star product. In quality, the amp represents the point where audiophile reproduction of music may be said to take off. My tube CD player sounds warm, with instruments well resolved and delicate, rewarding detail showing up where it would get lost in a lesser system; there is depth and enjoyable complexity to the sound.

This amp also functions somewhat as a preamp with its separate volume controls and a CD IN; if all you need to connect to your system is a CD player, then you don't need a separate preamp (but there is no remote and you have to adjust each channel's volume separately (the knobs work nice and smooth) - you may choose to adjust volume with your CD's remote in such a case). I do not agree with the previous reviewer that a CD will sound bad if directly plugged into this amp (unless there is some incompatibility between the two components) - my set up works very well, and distinctly better, cleaner that if I plug in my substandard preamp Audiosource PreAmp ONE/A (read my warning below). As stated by AudioSource, CD IN and LINE IN cannot be used simultaneously (meaning you cannot plug in two things at the same time, not just play two things at the same time) - if you try, the sound will be terrible. I do not know why there is a separate CD input, and the manual does not explain what are its advantages or its special purpose, though I might guess that some CD players may perform better if connected to this dedicated input rather than the standard LINE IN (the manual states that LINE IN is to be used with inputs from a preamp, CD, tuner, etc.).

Warning: do NOT use this amp with AudioSource PreAmp ONE/A, which is a low audio quality component that only appears to go together with this amp, and may fool one into believing that it represents a similar standard and a match.

This slim component looks quite elegant. I have no idea whether the meters display correct information, but they are surely too bright in the dark, which is the only minus in the appearance category. The inputs and outputs are, unfortunately, not gold plated. Even for these two reasons I will NOT take a star off the overall rating for this amp, because this unit is so unexpectedly good. Don't shy away from it if you are looking for a solid quality component while watching your budget - with this amp you'll be able to afford a better CD player and/or speakers, which is the way I went, since no matter how much you spend on an amp (or a preamp), they will not compensate for the lousy reproduction of music either at its source or, even more importantly, at the point where it actually becomes physical sound waves for our ears to enjoy.

Submitted by chych a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Amp Two is a pretty decent amplifier, that is if you have a decent preamp. The Amp Two has line level inputs, so you can plug your source directly into it. However, if you do this, be prepared for *extremely* horrible sound (perhaps the voltages or impedances do not match? I do not know). However if you have a good preamplifier (particularly some vacuum tube stage in your equipment chain – I use a MG Head DT vacuum tube headphone amplifier), then the sound out of the Amp two sounds pretty much what your preamp sounds like, which in my case is quite good (SIGNIFICANTLY better than skipping the preamp, it really is like night and day).

So, I'd say the Amp two just amplifies what goes into it and does not really create much to the sound. Perhaps it really depends on how you match your system, but I believe that the preamp is vital.

Oh and be sure to turn the stupid auto off thing off, if your preamp's voltages do not match properly with the Audiosource's input voltages, then it will turn off by itself too much.

Purchased At:   jandr

power amp for proac response d two

Hello guys , What power amp do you recommand for the proac response d 2. Currenly I have a rotel rmb1075 but I feel the proacs need a more refined amp. The preamp is a rotel RSP1069. What do you recommand?Read More »

Kef Five-two Series Model 7 & 11

HELLO TO ALL MEMBERS - NEW TO FORUM - FIRST POST IF I DID IT RIGHT Has anyone had a chance yet to see, hear, bought the new KEF FIVE-TWO Series model 7 or 11 speakers. What is the general opinion about them? Sound quality & price.Read More »

thorens 160 mkII & Mission Cyrus Two...speaker advice?

I recently acquired a Thorens TT and second generation Cyrus Two. Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers in the $300-$400 range that would match up well with them. I'm leaning towards a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. Any advice for somebody who likes overall neutral sound with a taste in gener ... Read More »

Two MORE New DVD Reviews: Paycheck (Paramount) & The Lost Boys: Special Edition (WB)

Okay friends....here we are again, with ye old faithful Digital Versatile Disc Junkie...."Paycheck" was a rental, and man, was this a blatant duplicate screenplay schematic as "Minority Report"....and JUST AS confusing....the plot centers around Ben "Affliction"'s character who builds secret compute ... Read More »

Two New DVD Reviews: My Boss's Daughter (Dimension) & Megalodon (Monarch)

Rented both these the other day with the lil' lady, so lets cover "My Boss's Daughter" first.... Pretty funny comedy, with the real sexy, but stupid, Tara Reid, and Ashton Kutcher in a role that he does best --- the goofy, aloof airhead who screws everything up somehow, even though this role of h ... Read More »