AudioSource Amp 5.3 Amplifiers

150 W into 8 ohms mono amp

Submitted by rodforshort a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
I paid 165.00 each for two Amp 5.3a’s at s&jgreatdeals. I wanted the 5.1a but they were out of stock.

I have them connected to an Anthem AVM 2 in stereo. This is a wonderful but not perfect pre/processor with RCA and XLR outputs. When the 5.3a’s are connected to the RCA outputs the volume on the Anthem has to stay at –22db to keep them on. With the XLR outputs the Anthem has to be set at a very loud –19db to make them stay on. A normal listening level for this setup for a tea party would be –32db and at that volume they stay on for about five minutes then shutoff on the auto circuit.

The resistor that supplies the power in for the auto off circuit needs to be changed to about half its value so the amp would stay on at normal listening levels. That of course would make it very sensitive to a noisy pre/amp and would never shut off. In that case it would need a sensitivity potentiometer in place of that resistor so that each user could adjust it for there on individual system.

The fan run all the time even at idle with no signal input. I can’t hear it like a few others have said.

This design is a wonderful beginning if some would have used it before they put it on the market.

It runs medium warm at an idle and increases in temperature the louder the volume. I have not experienced the high temperature shut down that some others have described. I keep mine set out in the open because I like the way they look.

When the amp first comes on it draws around 4 amperes for less than a second. If you paralleled 5 of these to the same outlet you might kick the breaker.

The discontinued Monoblock Marantz MA-500 and MA-700 is something one could compare it to. I have not had the chance to audition those yet.

Product model year:   2008

Purchased At:   s&jgreatdeals

Submitted by dreamst8 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great deal on a little powerhouse...150 w/ch @ 8 ohms, 250 @ 4, respectible! I use for a custom built sub using a 15" VMPS driver, crossed over @ 40hz thru a Linkweitz-Riley crossover in a Phase Coupled Activator.. So far it works nicely. I use the sub more for regular listening level enhancement, instead of all-out. I use a pair of Legacy FOCUS as mains driven by a Carver TFM-75, and the amp/driver combo has a tough time keeping up at very loud jamming levels, as because the FOCUS need very litte help on the low end. I think for the regular retail price, it is a super amp, is capable of doing a great job with most any system, it is flexible (volume, phase & cooling fan). Recommended product.

Purchased At:   Used

what is best 5.1 hdmi 1.3 4 ohm AVR or preamp/power amp under $3000

I am setting up a media room 14ft x 18ft. Picking speakers easy--- Magnepan MG12 or MG 1.6 with surrounds. HSU SUB. Projector Panasonic PT AE-3000. Stewart firehawk Screen. However, the AVR or Pre-Amp + 5.1 Amp is driving me crazy. I cant seem to figure out the best set-up. I have been thin ... Read More »

SOLILOQUY 5.3 vs. B&W CDM 7NT

Has anyone compared these two speakers side by side? thanks for whatever recommendations out there.....Read More »

Bravox 3.5 & Dayton Xover Help

I bought some Bravox 3.5 in drivers as a buyout several months ago. [url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=269-685[/url] I am thinking about buying these tweeters that are on sale. [url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-070[/url] I can ... Read More »

TARA LABS: