Audion Sterling EL 34 Amplifiers

• Consumption: 140 Watts
  • Tubes: 2 x EL34, 2 x 6H1N

Submitted by Euan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Got this AMP mail ordered from the UK...I believe this is one of the best kept secrets in the SET world...At juz slightly more than $1000, I get a AMP that has the magic of SET amp with real world speakers driving capability...My speaker is rated at juz 82DB/W, but the sound is room filling and wholesome(I use it in my bedroom)!!!

Smooth, detailed and speedy is how I describe this AMP, esp fabulous with vocals. Strong bass with a delightful midrange, though it is a bit soft in the treble

if you have yet to move onto the Tube wagon, well, this is your chance....!!!

Submitted by Raymond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use the Audion Sterling for over 2 years, with the Jamo concert 8 (and since a few weeks)the arcam FMJ. I´m pleased with the sound. I´m not the person to analize the music i listen, i just enjoy it.

Submitted by J E a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought mine secondhanded for a ridiculous price. Changed the tubes to heavy duty Sovteks, took the cheapo pot away and substitued it with a high quality one, wired the signal path with silver and added some capasitance to critical places. Voila! No I have something special to drive the ribbons in my two-way hybrid dipoles. A pair of hybrid 100 watters take care of two 10 inch woofers per side and the combination works. I tried many other power amplifiers before Audions, both SE:s and P&P:s, with tubes and transistors, but even relatively pricey and famous amps failed to handle sonic palette without the natural and musical way this little box of steinless steel does. I'm talking about 3D soundstage, precision of imaging, shimmering of metal percussion, naturally resonating voices, biting brass and crisp attack of drums. All this and much more for a price that makes me smile every time I hear someone saying the magic words: high end.
OK. You can't get head banging soundpressures out of twelve watts when your speakers are in the 88 dB/1W -class, but if you prefer quality to quantity and if you are not afraid of taking a soldering iron in your hands, Sterling is a gem to look for. You'll be suprised...

Submitted by Isaac a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This little amp is a joy. Very musical and powerful for only 12 watts. I can't think of a cheaper way to get into SET sound (manual claims it's actually pentode.) I got the optional chrome finish and it looks great. The only gripe I have is the cheap nob. The damn thing fell off the minute I opened the box. Tried screw it back on but have had no luck.

D.G. Chessell, Redesign that stupid nob!!!

Submitted by Den a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an amp worth several times over its price. I highly recommand it. However, DO NOT replace the original volume dial and the 'horse hair' signal cable. I've tried to replace the dial as others have recommended to the highest grade Noble and the wires to 6N cables. Believe it or not, it's either the same or worse. I can hear more base out of the original than the upgraded parts. What a waste of time and money.

Atlantic Technology: