Audio Research VT200 Amplifiers

200w x 2 Channels

Submitted by Hans Huber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
Using the VT200 with an ARC CD5 and LS27. Great balance. Good tight bass. Smooth highs and mids. No listening fatigue. Great combination. The music is effortless. Does run warm with 16 power tubes and 10 signal tubes. Needs to be retubed every 3000 hours so am expecting to spend some money on quality tubes. Best combination I have put together yet. Tried the amp with an SP11. Terrible match. They don't like each other. The VT200 does sound better in balanced mode than single ended. Played around with cables and you can definitely hear the differences. Ended up with Cardas interconnects and Nordost for the speakers. Paid $4600 for the amp. Cannot think of another amp within this price range that I would rather have. Heard a lot of SS amps and even the pure class A units do not have the same magic. I have drifted over to tubes and this is where I am staying. Have not heard the ARC Reference 150 but it is also out of my price range. Did have an ARC D250mkii, great amp but not in the same league as the ARC VT200. If you are looking for an amp around the $4500 range, this is one you should put on you audition list. Just remember, it needs a 6550 retube that will cost between $600 and $1100 every 3000 hours. The $1100 is worth it, you get what you pay for. You will also want a good front end for the VT200. The VT200 has a hardwired power cord so power cord experimenting is a little more complicated. Biasing the amp's 6550 power tubes is not too difficult. However, replacing the six 6922 driver tubes should be done by a tech. The remaining 6922's are easy to replace, they are a straight swap. You should get around 4 to 5 thousand hours out of the 6922's. Good amp for tube rolling. This amp does have the magic. Find one and invite yourself to a listening session. Remember to take your own music along so you can hear the difference. Enjoy.

Submitted by Lifesdream a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
The other reviews have said it. Great value on the used market. It sounds wonderful, speed, power, delicate, depth, wide image, dynamic, quiet. The best I have ever had, although D79B come close. I am sure Ref 210 are better but costs a lot more. When buying make sure of the condition of the tubes, it is expensive to retube.

The few negatives still make it worth while.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by JDS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
What an amp! Improving source, preamp & cables all to very high end around it has not reached its limitations. Bass is deep & tight enough to resonate internal organs & mighty fast - this really surprised me from my first valve amp, albeit a hybrid one. Midrange fluidity, tonality & palpability, soundstage & noise floor top notch. Very very detailed. The reviewer below has summed up this latest generation Mk2 very accurately - best of both worlds of semi-conductors & conductors! in this respect, it has similar characteristics to my Pass labs aleph 4 100W stereo amp which was also a cracker.

System: Cary 306/200 CD, 240V VT200 mk2 run single-ended from First sound Prescence deluxe mk 2 4.0 paramount upgrade with concierto string quartet & violin biwire into proAc Future 2s. PSaudio P600 & lab cables. Cardas RCA caps & Shun Mook isocubes/platforms.

Submitted by BugX a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is about VT-200 MKII.

Perfect match for the REF2 MKII. Hybrid? Who cares? It´s sounds, perfect like tubes and fast like transistors.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by arcls25mkII a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
In previous review, the end part was missing:
..... Krell was also analytical but not for my taste. I felt the listening fatigue with both Rotel and Krell after 1-2 hours but with VT200 my listening sessions were limitless. I mostly listen to jazz and to me, jazz requires a cleaner, better represention, imaging and defition by the audio setup especially for its self improvization. VT200 fulfilled the missing parts in previous setup which Rotel (even Krell) could not match.
I also tried VT100mkII, although it had the magic of tube warmness, it lacked the latest detail and soundstage of VT200. Since I also consider to upgrade my speakers in future, I chose VT200 for both better performance and future compatibility over VT100.
This is the first time that I fully discover music inside the cds, it is a big big improvement. By adding the magical cd processor+tube preamp Audio Aero Capitol 24/192, the music is much more alive, detailed, neutral and I have the synergy of tube pre and power amplification.
I think VT200 for the price i paid, is a bargain since the tubes inside are also new. I think of trying a tube preamp (ARC LS25, Ref2 etc.) to see if any dramatic changes or improvements. In my current system, Capitol 24/192 is directly connected to the power and I do not have a seperate preamp.
Choosing the right audio equipment is a very subjective case. I am trying to argue tubes are better over solid state, or ARC is better than Krell etc. But what I discovered is that there is much more fun and happiness for me with tubes and for the system have now.
Rest of the system:
Transparent Audio Ultra Bicable; Ultra XLR connectors; B&W Nautilus 803; PS Audio Ultimate Outlet+Lab power cord

Purchased At:   Lotus Hifi Istanbul