Audio Research D76A Amplifiers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

Tube Amplifier - 75 watts

Submitted by Dman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
incredible, heavy, muscular sounding monster of an amp from the mid 70's. i gotmine form Ebay just under a month ago at the insistence of a good friend who has designed and built tube gear for years. I am currently recapping everything, but have listened extensively after each stage of upgrading. The amp itself weighs in at around 60lbs. It is built like a tank.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great, old classic amp that can still give a lifelike presentation to the music. (I have a D-75A which is essentially the same thing as a D-76A).

I have been into stereos for a very long time, so am always on the lookout for new equipment or in this case an old tube amp from the 70's. This was my brother's who stored it in a closet for the last 20 years. (I put 900 in for the price because that's around what they cost these days.) He gave it to me and I had it professionally cleaned up, biased, tested, and installed new tubes-- it uses 17 tubes. My version is all original, no modifications except one small capacitor that failed. I am even using the original filter capacitors. Probably should change them someday but for now its working great.

What an amp! 70 watts per channel and still sounds great! I used it to power Vandersteen 2CE speakers and it played them to ear-shattering levels, with no harshness or apparent clipping. It provides great clarity and dynamics. This is a substantial amp from a long time ago, and weighs a ton, but I really enjoyed its performance.

You can see that I have used a lot of very good amps from the list below, I would say this amp has a little more bloom than the others, and is a little noiser due to all the tubes, but it is very enjoyable to listen to. I thought it might have a restricted HF response but the highs are there and crystal clear. Bass is also very good, though not as good as the BAT.

On the down side it generates a LOT of heat from those 17 tubes and doesn't have an on/off switch. But it does have level controls for the L/R channels and 4-8-16 ohm taps for your speakers. I recommend the 4 ohm taps for the 2CE, the 8 ohm taps sounded very bad with these speakers.

Purchased At:   N/A

Submitted by Rodrigo Bezanilla a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I discover a new kind of sound when I listen the same records.

Submitted by Ebeneezer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
This review is for an ARC-refurbished D76, not D76A. Well, I don't own this amp anymore, and ultimately a day will come when I will regret having sold it. Not today, however- I now live happily with solid state stuff. But this amp was miraculous with a pair of Vandersteen 2CE's. I have never owned an amp with which I enjoyed the music more. I hope that says enough. One problem was that the thing put off so much heat that I couldn't use it in my small apartment for about 8 months a year! That was a problem. If I ever move to Alaska or northern Wisconsin or somewhere like that, I know I'm going to buy some big mother 16-tube 6550c amp, and look at those tubes glowing all night instead of a fireplace.

BTW, excuse me for entering 1995 as the product year. That was the earliest year offered, and my submission was rejected when trying to leave this blank. I understand this amp was manufactured in the early or mid '70's.

Submitted by matt poes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
THIS AMP IS GREAT. I HAVE OWNED IT FOR AROUND A YEAR NOW, AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT AT ALL. I HAVE LISTENED TO IT IN MANY SYSTEMS AND CHANGE MY CURRENT SYSTEM ALL THE TIME. THIS HAS ALLOWED ME TO REALIZE THE CHARACTER OF THIS GREAT AMP. THE MIDRANGE IS GREAT, CLEAR, DETAILED, YET WARM AND LUSH SOUNDING. IT DOES A GREAT JOB OF TAKING THE EDGE OFF OF MANY MODERN DIGITAL RECORDINGS AND OFFERS A LOT OF MIDRANGE KICK. MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH IT IS IN DRIVING LARGE OLD TOWER SPEAKERS. I HVAE A PAIR OF INFINITY QUANTUM II'S AND A PAIR OF B&W MATRIX SPEAKERS, BOTH OLDER. THE AMP WONT DRIVE THEM VERY LOUD AND THE BASS ISNT REALLY TIGHT. SO I HAVE USED A SEPERATE PAIR OF 15" SUBS, AND A SEPERATE AMP FOR THE BASS SECTION OF THESE SPEAKERS. THIS SET UP SOUNDS GREAT, THE MUSIC SOUNDS SO GOOD IT REALLY SOUNDS TANGEABLE. I FEEL I COULD WALK UP AND CONGRADULATE THE MUSICIANS AFTER A PERFORMANCE.

Premier Mounts: