Audio Electronic Supply SE-811 monoblock Amplifiers

Submitted by merccougar89 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
Im writing this review for a friend that recently passed away from cancer.Anyway neither of us were really fans of single ended amps until we heard these amps.These amps are incredible in every way.The artistic beauty they exibit is only a small part of these amps.They are very well constructed and the best deal on a SE amp by far whether kit or assembled.We were actually able to power a pair of martin logan CLS2 electrostatic speakers.We did however change the tube from the sv811 to the sv572-3.Its puts out 18.25 watts with bias set at a very conservative 81ma.We also changed the china 6sn7 with a jan sylvania 6sn7.We also opted for a 6l6gc in place of the e34l or even a kt88 becuase it produced a more linear and balanced sound with no peaks whatsoever.Orignally this was the tube AES designed the amp with for the driver but they said they had some problems with arcing although we havent seen any evidence of this.These amps have the sonic sound pressure of my modded dyna marks 3s only cleaner.You would never think these were only 18 watts.They are class A power and 18 watts class A tube power is hard to achieve at this price.These amps will definitely be classics one day.They even have potted transformers.The componets are first rate as is the sound.He bought the assembled version which is about 200 dollars more than the kit but well worth it in terms of value.Unless your a seasoned kit builder you i would recommend you go this route.We also installed .22@600v shunt caps on each filter which helps stabilize power suuply impeadance and results in a cleaner high end.

Purchased At:   factory

Submitted by Yuri a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is great amps.

I build mine with 572-3s on output.
One of them just died (after 1 year).
When i was building them there were some problems with missing parts in kits.
But they send them to me.
Other than that, I'm very happy!
First i hooked them up to Paradigms - no luck! They are too heavy for them.
But then I've decide to try speakers from Sony boombox and i was blown away!
Don't smile.
So Ive ordered Fostex fe-208 drivers to build speakers. Meanwhile Im listening them on Sony with Subwoofer and guess what? still didn't finish Fostex project,
thats how good they are.
If you like me, spend all your life trying to find Nirvana among Solid state amps, then the search is over!
Get them!

Purchased At:   AES

Submitted by diky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
for the money,one of best out there!Period!

Submitted by Harry Andree a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I want to follow up on my review a while ago.
I still support my 5 star rating. I still have not
heard a better amp under $5000. This amp really
has a tremendous performance. I upgraded my
celestions to self build Newform Research variety.
I found that the sensitivity of the speaker is
a little lower and that the bass started clipping
earlier. After I replaced the EL34 (Chinese no name
brand) with Sovtek KT88's the bass came back much
stronger and more powerfull. I would yet caution with
this amp not tu use speakers with a sensitivity lower
then 90dB.

If you have the right speaker this amp may be
one of the finest choices available.

Purchased At:   AES

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I assembled my SE-811 from a kit. A word of warning - unless you're a seasoned kit assembler and knowlegeable about electronics and electronic components, buy the assembled version. The assembly instructions are geared to the level of an advanced assembler.

The assembly took me about 15 hours per monoblock and I only had a couple difficulties 1) a terminal strip was missing in one of the monoblocks and 2) a power transformer's primary leads were not labeled correctly. But I overcame these issues quickly. I used silver bearing '44' flux Kester solder in the entire signal path and normal 63/37 Kester '245' flux solder on the power connections.

The quality of the parts is excellent - much better than I have seen in any other tube amp kit at this price. Solen and oil-filled caps where needed in the signal path. A nice brushed front panel and sturdy chassis to boot.

I had some reservations about running my Bohlender-Grabener RD50 ribbons (88db) with these monoblocks due to typical ribbon current requirements but the SE-811s drive them clear and strong!

I replaced the stock Chinese 6SN7s with 1944 vintage JAN-CHS Sylvania VT-231/6SN7s and the JJ E34Ls with JJ KT88s. The KT88s vastly improved the dynamic range and sonic richness of the SE-811s and got rid of the E34L artificial brightness. The JAN-CHS Sylvania VT-231/6SN7s resulted in great accuracy and detail. I may also replace the 811s with 572s in the future but it may not be worthwhile (and worth the money...)

With this tube lineup, the SE-811s produce the best dynamics, clarity, realism, and soundstage in the absence of coloration of any tube amp I have yet listened to.

Given the price range, a SOLID 5 stars!

Purchased At:   www.audioelectronicsupply.com