Audio Analogue Bellini & Donizetti
Description: two box Pre and Power amp

Submitted by bigwhiterabbit a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Donizetti Cento, I was looking for a true balanced power amp, I don't need a lot of power and from my experience the "big iron" 300 LB monster amps often lack the refinement and agility of smaller amps. My options settled on Marantz Reference SM11S1 and Donizetti Cento, in this price range, there are not many choices unless you go with class D, eventually I choose the Donizetti based on my positive experience with Puccini. Right out of the box, the Donizetti Cento had the "right" midrange that is crucial for us audiophiles, the vocal is liquid and emotional just like what you would expect from Audio Analogue. However, the upper midrange had a typical solid state emphasis on the "s" sound. I let the amp break in for >100 hours and magic happened, the harshness was gone and I heard smooth/coherent music. I found this amp to sound its best with adequate warm-up, if I power it off, the next time I have to wait at least 1 or 2 hours for it to reach its potential. Fortunately this is not a class A amp and you can leave it on all the time. Even though it's only rated 100 watt per channel, it managed to offer adequate bass depth and control, combined with an expressive midrange and extended treble, you have a very enjoyable amp. The Donizetti is also very revealing of upstream components, change a preamp, cable or source and you can notice the difference right away. To me, this is an overlooked affordable amp, a large step up from Audio Analogue's reputable Puccini/Puccini SE integrated. Highly recommended!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Josh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
A very neutral balanced and non fatiguing pre-power set.
You get the kind of sound usually heard from higher priced HiEnd gear.
This set will keep you listening to music more & more, with no intention of stopping.
Sound is warm, very open but not harsh highs,sweet mid, and not top boomy bass.
Goes great with jazz ,and classical small ensambles.
This set, to my believe is halfway to tube, without the headache tubes can give you - audition it !

Submitted by Gokhan Senturk a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very neutral, soft, smooth, transparent sound. May be not suitable for metal or techno but with a good pair of speakers you can have superb HiEnd sound. After an hour sound becomes better.

Purchased At:   2000

Submitted by Tom C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these after having an Audiolab 8000lx and after auditioning some expensive Tag Mclaren pre/power setups and I can safely say that these AA's blew them away. They gave a much smoother, natural, unfatiguing sound that really appealed to me, and worked well with my Rotel 991 cd player.
I foundthem even more amazing when they were warmed up and eventually burnt-in. They now sound really expensive and aren't going to be exchanged in a hurry. I also feel that they could except some pretty expensive speakers upgrades without falling short. I use B&W P4's but would love to get some Audio Physic Tempos, which would work perfectly with these.
These amps give off there very best with vocals, there are so natural and sweet. Try Tracy Chapmans albums and her voice is quite dark and full- i never heard this from Audiolab. Having said that they do work amazingly well with all recordings, perhaps not heavy dance or rock. They are also very well made.I would recommned these to all parties looking at spending between £1200 and £2000- they really are that good, and are an easy rival to all Musical Fidelity hardware.
By the way use them with fast and open sounding speakers and similar cables.
Excellent value Audio Analogue.

Submitted by jan van dessel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have this combo in my system for 9 months,and have grown even more in love with it,than when I first encountered them.My not unsubstantial LP-collection has proliferated greatly thanks to the AA's,and I've listened to true music all this time instead of just to electronic sounds.
The quality of recordings is easily judged when passing through the hands of the Bellini/Donizetti-amplification.Voices,organs,piano and cembalo are but a few instruments the AA's get just right.Bass is,depending on the loudspeakers,frighteningly deep,though a bit on the slender side.Details of the recording come to life,and soundstaging is magnificent.The grainless,warmish character reminds me of tubes (but I'd never swap!).
These amps deserve high-quality interconnects,every upgrading in that area has proven nothing less than dramatic (they are entiteled to WBT's).The phono-stage is OK,but I strongly prefer my X-LP for the Ortofon Nr2(MC)via the aux.In fact,any upgrading in my system can be fully judged through these illustrous Italians.I really can't wait to connect some compatriot Sonus Fabers to them!